Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/11/30 21:28:00 UTC

[eve] Build is cleaned up now - all works with single eve jar

Hello,

Thanks to some help from Brett I was able to cleanup a few things in the
build so Eve now totally compiles and a single executable jar is
produced for Eve with the JNDI provider classes and all.  To build and
run Eve just follow these steps:

1). check out Eve trunk from SVN repository:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/directory/eve/trunk eve

Use the https URL if you intend to commit changes to trunk.

2). cd into eve folder and build Eve with this maven command:

maven -Dgoal=jar:install multiproject:goal

3). after the build succeeds I run the following command from eve folder
to fire up Eve:

[akarasulu@newton eve]$ java -jar eve/target/eve-SNAPSHOT.jar
Eve: using default properties ...
Eve: standard ldap port 389 is not available, using 1024 instead
Eve: started in 1624 milliseconds

What was done?
============

So what did we have to do to get to this point.  There were some
relative paths that did not consider the use of multiproject goals so
Brett straighten that out using the basedir property of maven to find
the correct paths.  I followed his footsteps to make the Eve plugin work
correctly in other ways based on basedir.

Next the eve maven project was added under eve/trunk to contain a
EveMain class that allows one to start the server from the command
line.  This project uses the javaapp plugin to generate an executable
jar with all the dependencies of Eve included in it.  This is why
eve-SNAPSHOT.jar is now 2.5 MB.  Yeah that can be trimmed way down
because we don't need to have all of the commons depenencies we have.
So we can be very selective.  Perhaps we can shring that down to about 1 MB.

Anyway the eve project generates a eve-SNAPSHOT.jar and this artifact
contains everything Eve needs or anyone needs to embed Eve as well as
start her from the command line.

Alex

Re: [eve] Build is cleaned up now - all works with single eve jar

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>Nice work Alex.
>
>2). cd into eve folder and build Eve with this maven command:
>

>>maven -Dgoal=jar:install multiproject:goal
>>

>Shouldn't this be:
> maven multiproject:install
>?

I never new that goal existed for multiproject.  Great that's much less
typing.

Alex

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Nice work Alex.