Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/09/26 00:38:25 UTC

Welcome, new subscribers! (And, old subscribers, this list is kind of quiet!)

This list now has 70 subscribers, including a couple added during the
last couple weeks. Welcome! And please post a note to the list
introducing yourself. (Pop to the bottom of this post for some previous
posts with subscriber introductions.)

I spotted the "Women in Free Software" article by Fernanda Weiden a
couple weeks ago:

I've been mulling over this comment she made because it seems to me like
a perfect description of women@apache.org, which is kind of quiet for 70
subscribers:

> To make sharing knowledge more natural for women, some groups have been formed in the community with the target goal of creating a more friendly community for women. The problem is that most women bring to these group the same behaviors they learned to have in the traditional groups: being merely an observer.

We formed the women@apache.org list "to foster greater participation by
women in the ASF community.  The list provides a supportive, encouraging
forum to help women become more involved in ASF projects." (You'll see
this description if you send email to women-info@apache.org.)

Fernanda offers some reasons for why women might hang back and just
observe. I won't summarize those here -- her article is interesting.

I'll offer another reason. Sometimes mail etiquette guidelines
themselves encourage lurking. For example, David Crossley started a
really good "Tips for email contributors" here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

I was browsing through some of the "Other email guidelines" links at the
bottom of that page and noticed that the first bullet for the "RFC 1855:
Netiquette Guidelines" link at http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3 says:

>  Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two months before you post anything. This helps you to get an understanding of the culture of the group.

I think that advice is sensible for participating in new technical lists
-- though browsing mail archives, if they are available, can shave the
time way down from "one to two months".

However, I think that advice is *terrible* for a list such as this one.
There's no need to wait. I would encourage everyone to dive in and
participate in this list.

Here are some suggestions for participating:

(1) Introduce yourself to the list if you haven't had an opportunity to
do so yet. Here are just a few previous introductions and you'll see
that there's no standard format -- anything goes:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c52B5254E-652D-4730-B1D6-A0F3E34250BC@gmail.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c42F635C3.9030209@bristowhill.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.63.0508071457050.3594@twinlark.arctic.org%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c20050823112328.GB7538@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c430A441E.3010602@sbcglobal.net%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c20050823171329.53764.qmail@web81306.mail.yahoo.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3cd57adca905082411404820944c@mail.gmail.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c1252F2CC78DEFA4F9D5AC77BA2639BCB01A4BB30@DDC-ML-04.ohlogistics.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3cD3E419A8-7ECB-4933-BDFB-EAE9722D58EC@horwat.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c62242.200.158.30.13.1124967847.squirrel@mail.linuxchix.org.br%3e

(2) Do you have a question about Apache? Some of the subscribers to this
list are quite knowledgeable about Apache and are eager to assist.

(3) Do you have a question how to do something at Apache? (Jira got you
stymied? Need some help getting started with Subversion? Want
suggestions for how to get started on a specific project?)

(4) Anyone want to organize a BOF at ApacheCon US? (p.s. Dec 10-14  --
www.apachecon.com)

Hoping to hear from you soon.

cheers,

  -jean

Re: Welcome, new subscribers! (And, old subscribers, this list is kind of quiet!)

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Jean,

I'm curious to see how many of us will be at
ApacheCon. My partner Stephen Jones and I are heading
up press activities for the conference and will be
able to leverage this hook if we have enough
participants there.

It would be great so meet y'all as well :-D

Cheers,
Sally

mobile +1.617.921.8656
vox +1.781.772.1484