Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2008/01/20 22:22:31 UTC

Synchronizing PMC Membership rosters

As we all know, I just love redundant meta-data ... :-\

We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:

  1) committee-info.txt
  2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc
  3) private@i.a.o mailing lists subscriptions

#1 and #2 should be equal, keyed by svn id.  #3 should be a proper subset,
with all members subscribed by e-mail address, and others (e.g., ASF Members
or Directors who want to subscribe) present.  I won't even get into
incubator-info.txt, which is increasingly out-of-date and neglected.  :-\

Didn't someone have a script for comparing the committee-info.txt roster
against the asf-authorization lists?  If so, would whomever it is please
save me some time and run it against the current files, and post the results
so that I can get them in synch.  If not, I'll get to it manually.

Similarly, do we have a script for comparing the roster and the mailing list
subscriptions?

	--- Noel

RE: Synchronizing PMC Membership rosters

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> One day when I learn a little more about Directories I'd like to setup an
> LDAP server with a stored procedure to manage all this for us.

Coincidentally, Justin and I talked about this last Friday.  If people want
to work on LDAP in a sandbox as a proof of concept, we (in this case, we ==
infrastructure) can set them up.  IIRC, a sandbox zone already exists for
playing with LDAP.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
One day when I learn a little more about Directories I'd like to setup an
LDAP server with a stored procedure to manage all this for us.  Until then
:( ...

I guess we can use a subversion post commit script to manage this as well.

Alex

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El lun, 21-01-2008 a las 22:32 +0100, Santiago Gala escribió:
> El dom, 20-01-2008 a las 16:22 -0500, Noel J. Bergman escribió:
> > As we all know, I just love redundant meta-data ... :-\
> >
> > We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:
> >
> >   1) committee-info.txt
> >   2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc
>
> I am in none of the first two, even if I asked for it Nov 23th and was
> acknowledged by you, first, and wrowe in board@

oops, I was just missing from asf-authorization, I added myself and
removed one dupe of jvanzyl

> Adding myself in both places (I have enough karma for it)
>
> Regards
> Santiago

> > #1 and #2 should be equal, keyed by svn id.  #3 should be a proper subset,
> > with all members subscribed by e-mail address, and others (e.g., ASF Members
> > or Directors who want to subscribe) present.  I won't even get into
> > incubator-info.txt, which is increasingly out-of-date and neglected.  :-\
> >
> > Didn't someone have a script for comparing the committee-info.txt roster
> > against the asf-authorization lists?  If so, would whomever it is please
> > save me some time and run it against the current files, and post the results
> > so that I can get them in synch.  If not, I'll get to it manually.
> >
> > Similarly, do we have a script for comparing the roster and the mailing list
> > subscriptions?
> >
> > 	--- Noel

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: Synchronizing PMC Membership rosters

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El dom, 20-01-2008 a las 16:22 -0500, Noel J. Bergman escribió:
> As we all know, I just love redundant meta-data ... :-\
>
> We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:
>
>   1) committee-info.txt
>   2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc

I am in none of the first two, even if I asked for it Nov 23th and was
acknowledged by you, first, and wrowe in board@

Adding myself in both places (I have enough karma for it)

Regards
Santiago

> #1 and #2 should be equal, keyed by svn id.  #3 should be a proper subset,
> with all members subscribed by e-mail address, and others (e.g., ASF Members
> or Directors who want to subscribe) present.  I won't even get into
> incubator-info.txt, which is increasingly out-of-date and neglected.  :-\
>
> Didn't someone have a script for comparing the committee-info.txt roster
> against the asf-authorization lists?  If so, would whomever it is please
> save me some time and run it against the current files, and post the results
> so that I can get them in synch.  If not, I'll get to it manually.
>
> Similarly, do we have a script for comparing the roster and the mailing list
> subscriptions?
>
> 	--- Noel

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: Synchronizing PMC Membership rosters

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I (dashorst) am subscribed to private@
Martijn

On 1/21/08, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008 6:29 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> wrote:
>
> > There are a few people in committee-info.txt who didn't use their Apache
> > id so the matching is not perfect but here it is:
> >
> > in committee but not in authorization:
> > ["dashorst", "ekoneil", "gianugo", "henning", "jgenender", "kevan",
> > "matt", "mvdb", "psteitz", "sbailliez"]
> >
> > in authorization but not in committee:
> > ["fielding", "stefano"]
> >
> > I'll check the mailing-list.
> >

> Actually I'm not moderating this ML so I don't have access to the list of
> subscribers.
>
> Matthieu
>

> > Matthieu
> >
> > On Jan 20, 2008 1:22 PM, Noel J. Bergman < noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> >
> > > As we all know, I just love redundant meta-data ... :-\
> > >
> > > We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:
> > >
> > >  1) committee-info.txt
> > >  2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc
> > >  3) private@i.a.o mailing lists subscriptions
> > >
> > > #1 and #2 should be equal, keyed by svn id.  #3 should be a proper
> > > subset,
> > > with all members subscribed by e-mail address, and others (e.g., ASF
> > > Members
> > > or Directors who want to subscribe) present.  I won't even get into
> > > incubator-info.txt, which is increasingly out-of-date and neglected.
> > >  :-\
> > >
> > > Didn't someone have a script for comparing the committee-info.txtroster
> > > against the asf-authorization lists?  If so, would whomever it is
> please
> > > save me some time and run it against the current files, and post the
> > > results
> > > so that I can get them in synch.  If not, I'll get to it manually.
> > >
> > > Similarly, do we have a script for comparing the roster and the
> mailing
> > > list
> > > subscriptions?
> > >
> > >        --- Noel

Apache Wicket 1.3.0 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0

Re: Synchronizing PMC Membership rosters

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El mar, 22-01-2008 a las 11:51 +0000, sebb escribió:
> On 22/01/2008, J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > sebb <se...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Just wondering whether Labs would be a suitable place to collaborate
> > > on scripts for cross-checking/reformatting the meta data? Also to
> > > document the current meta data.
> >
> > Technically the incubator PMC should be free to create a new
> > subdirectory under /incubator in svn.  But if you don't want to do
> > that, then, yeah, a lab is fine.
> >

> I was thinking that the same problems of duplicated meta data apply to
> other PMCs as well - indeed to the ASF as a whole...

My experience in the past is that what happens is that someone writes a
small script in her/his favorite scripting language and then people asks
for it, improves, etc.

A small scripts that would take a PMC or podling name and read
committee-info, asf-authorization and report on inconsistencies would be
a win, for starters. Even if it only runs by hand and the reports is
pasted in an email.

After something like this is running it can be further automated.

Regards
Santiago

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:

> > We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:
> >
> >   1) committee-info.txt
> >   2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc
> >   3) private@i.a.o mailing lists subscriptions
> Also
>     4) whoweare.xml

Don't forget the UNIX group, too.  :-\  I so love having redundant
meta-data.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 20, 2008 9:22 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> As we all know, I just love redundant meta-data ... :-\
>
> We have at least three lists for PMC Membership:
>
>   1) committee-info.txt
>   2) asf-authorization#incubator-pmc
>   3) private@i.a.o mailing lists subscriptions

Also