Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kasun Prabath Amarasinghe <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/22 12:43:12 UTC

Need a help to begin.

I'm a computer Engineering undergraduate student. I would like to
contribute to open source projects. But I don't know where to start and how
to start.Can anyone guide me to start.

Re: Need a help to begin.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/06/17 21:01, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 25/06/17 03:32, Kasun Prabath Amarasinghe wrote:
>>> I am a Beginner. I have searched for bugs marks for Beginners. But i
>>> couldn't find them. Can anyone help me to find them or Can anyone show me a
>>> bug which can work on.
>>
>> I took a quick look through the open bugs but didn't see anything that
>> jumped out at me as a beginner bug. However, that doesn't mean there
>> aren't lots of useful things you could work on.
>>
>> Here is just one example.
>
> Got any more examples? I can add this one and others to the new
> CONTRIBUTING doc in the repo to give new contributors more entry
> points into the project.

Here are some other places where code coverage could be improved that
should be fairly simple to get into:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/coverage/frame-summary-org.apache.el.html

https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/coverage/frame-summary-org.apache.jasper.tagplugins.jstl.html

https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/coverage/frame-summary-org.apache.catalina.users.html

https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/coverage/frame-summary-org.apache.catalina.ssi.html

This one might be a little more of a challenge as it will probably
require parsing the resulting access log file for a chunk of the
currently untested code:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/coverage/frame-summary-org.apache.catalina.valves.html

Generally, any additional tests that test something and increase code
coverage are going to be helpful.

Another possibility to look at is:
https://scan.coverity.com/projects/apache-tomcat?tab=overview

Potential contributors should keep in mind that the Coverity results are
riddled with false positives. Generally the 'code correctness' reports
are much more likely to be valid than the 'vulnerability' reports.

Mark

Re: Need a help to begin.

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Need a help to begin.