Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/04/10 08:05:13 UTC

[FlexJS] More SWCs

Hi,

As I mentioned in “The Big Rename”, I’m thinking of creating more SWCs.
As I started in on it, it occurred to me that after this refactoring, my
next goal is to try to see if we can pack the JS files into a SWC so the
SWC becomes the single deliverable for a library.  Doing so simplifies the
command-line syntax so it is the same for both AS and JS, and I think it
makes it easier for Maven to work with FlexJS SWCs.

But the question that I came up with is, if we do pack JS in the SWCs: how
many SWCs should there be?  For example, right now, for charts, some of
the charts code is in the FlexJSUI SWC and thus has handwritten JS, and a
bunch more code is in the FlexJSJX SWC and the JS is generated by
cross-compiling the AS.

The easiest thing to do right now is simply carve the chart files from
FlexJSJX into a SWC and the other chart files from FlexJSUI into their own
SWC, but then you have the charting code divided between two SWCs.  Maybe
it is better to try to re-work the build scripts and CompC to put all the
chart code in one SWC.  What do others think?

Related, we could make lots of small swcs or fewer bigger ones.  What do
folks think of that?  There could be a SWC for:

-Effects
-Collections
-Binding
-Graphics
-HTTPService
-Charts
-Mobile
-Formatters
-DragDrop
-Google Maps
-Jquery
-CreateJS

And, if we actually have two SWCs (one for cross-compiled code, one for
handwritten JS) that’s a lot of SWCs.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, but I’m thinking that lots of SWCs
might be the better route.

-Alex

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/10/15, 1:54 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I would hate to see that code just die when you could actually use it
>here.
>It's exactly what you need, parts anyway.

I’ll be glad to try to re-use your code.  Maybe you can give more more
information about it.  I only took a quick look and saw some tests and
what looked like data structures to support this feature.  I didn’t find
the part that would open the SWC and stuff files into it.  If you can
point me there it would be helpful.  But no hurry, I won’t be on this for
a few days or weeks while I do the big rename.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
> I sure hope it doesn’t take me 4 months.  What were the difficult parts
of doing this?

I didn't say it took me 4 months to make the bundles but, if you look at
that code, it's typical Mike code, all documented and a lot of it
unit/functional tested.

I would hate to see that code just die when you could actually use it here.
It's exactly what you need, parts anyway.

But! It's your call and you are probably better off just whipping something
out that suits your needs.

Mike

AW: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Yes it was Mike.

Trying to attach and .rbl (not sure it will be allowed)  model.rbl
<http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/file/n46055/model.rbl>

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
The more I look at that stuff, the more I want to cry. It was solid, Fred
that is for sure.

RE: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

RE: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

I just had a look at it, it was a long time I didn't and it reminded me I didn't like the way it was first implemented, don't take me wrong, it is not about your programming skill at all, it is about the fact that - and you didn't know at the start as it was your first IJ plugin like mine - I would have based my implementation on Facet (mostly like does the Jangarro plugin) then, I spent a lot of time based on you first work to plug it with the internal of IJ and improving it for incremental compilation, make it to understand the RBLs, etc..

As you said, all this wasted time and energy, that's pity, so, I will probably start an experiment of a plugin based on Facet, integrate what I can take from Randori / Jangarro and see how much time it would take to get something working, if it's too much, I will give up and anyway, if people here want the RBL, I guess it is a good choice because the compiler and the IJ implementation are already writen.

Frédéric THOMAS

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.

RE: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the typos, :)

It's Bitwig, UDP and OSC messages. I need to figure out if javascript can
do the same thing with the browser/mobile as I have done in AIR.

Re: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.

RE: AW: [FlexJS] More SWCs

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.