Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Nodet Guillaume <gn...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/22 14:56:01 UTC

Roadmap

I'd like to start a discussion on ServiceMix roadmap.

On the short term, hopefully the Apache Board will approve ServiceMix
gradation as a TLP at the end of the month (the board meeting is on
28th of August).   Once done, we should start moving the resources to
their new locations (servicemix.apache.org).  At the same time, we
may want to release a 3.1.2 (removing the incubator disclaimers) and
a 3.2.  I think we can plan on 17/09 for 3.1.2 and 01/10 for 3.2.

On the middle term, I'd like to start working on ServiceMix 4.0.  We
already discussed that a bit and the key points is OSGi.  I have been
experimenting a bit in some branches on svn and I really think OSGi
will provide the needed platform to base ServiceMix 4.0 on.  At the
same time, I have been working on a new API for ServiceMix 4.0 which
is available at  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
servicemix/branches/servicemix-4.0/api.  This is work in progress and
I'd like feedback on it as much as possible.  I will start a separate
thread about ServiceMix 4.0.

On the long term, I'd like ServiceMix to support JBI 2.0 and SCA.
It will obviously depend on when JBI 2.0 spec is released...

Ideas, opinions?

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Roadmap

Posted by Nodet Guillaume <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:26 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 8/22/07, Nodet Guillaume <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to start a discussion on ServiceMix roadmap.
>
> Yay!
>
>> On the short term, hopefully the Apache Board will approve ServiceMix
>> gradation as a TLP at the end of the month (the board meeting is on
>> 28th of August).   Once done, we should start moving the resources to
>> their new locations (servicemix.apache.org).  At the same time, we
>> may want to release a 3.1.2 (removing the incubator disclaimers) and
>> a 3.2.  I think we can plan on 17/09 for 3.1.2 and 01/10 for 3.2.
>
> I agree that released 3.1.2 as the first release as a TLP is a good
> plan. Looks like we've got some work to do to get 3.2 out the door by
> October (http://tinyurl.com/2cbduz) and I've got some additional
> issues that I need to file and work to do for the archetypes. There
> seem to be a handful of smallish bugs there.
>
>> On the middle term, I'd like to start working on ServiceMix 4.0.  We
>> already discussed that a bit and the key points is OSGi.  I have been
>> experimenting a bit in some branches on svn and I really think OSGi
>> will provide the needed platform to base ServiceMix 4.0 on.  At the
>> same time, I have been working on a new API for ServiceMix 4.0 which
>> is available at  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
>> servicemix/branches/servicemix-4.0/api.  This is work in progress and
>> I'd like feedback on it as much as possible.  I will start a separate
>> thread about ServiceMix 4.0.
>
> I haven't had the time to look at your OSGi work since back in May
> when we were at JavaOne so I'll take a look at this. I'd also like to
> make sure that we document the new APIs much better than the existing
> stuff. One of the biggest shortcomings currently is Javadoc and
> comments to provide others an understanding of the code.

I know.  I really plan on documenting the 4.0 API as much as possible.
But we need to flesh out the ideas first ;-)

>> On the long term, I'd like ServiceMix to support JBI 2.0 and SCA.
>> It will obviously depend on when JBI 2.0 spec is released...
>
> In addition, I'd like to create more formal thread pooling support
> package for SMX and I think that the 4.0 branch is the best place to
> do this work.

What do you have in mind more precisely? In the 4.0 related thread,
I explain that I'd like to get rid of components (at least, they
would not be
a mandatory part anymore in some cases).  This implies that all the
thread
pool support will be managed by the container on a per endpoint basis.

> But I won't be starting work on this until we have a
> good handle on the 3.1.2 and 3.2 releases.
>
> I have also begun work on providing better Javadocs and comments in
> the new servicemix-jms consumer and provider endpoints. Once this is
> complete I will begin to doc the new servicemix-http consumer and
> provider endpoints. This is all a work in progress that I will just
> continually check in as I go. I suppose I should file an issue to
> track this work as it is committed.
>
> I was also digging around today in the activemq-web-console wondering
> about getting it running  in SMX for monitoring destinations.

There is the servicemix-web-console which should do something like that.
We also have some hyperic plugins somewhere in JIRA...

> On a
> related note, when are we planning on upgrading ActiveMQ? Are we
> waiting for SMX 4.0?

Well, as soon as AMQ 5.0 is released we should upgrade.  I'm also
thinking about
upgrading to geronimo 2.0 and the new transaction manager / connector
(this would
need a Jencks 2.1 release too).

Guillaume

Re: Roadmap

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/07, Nodet Guillaume <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to start a discussion on ServiceMix roadmap.

Yay!

> On the short term, hopefully the Apache Board will approve ServiceMix
> gradation as a TLP at the end of the month (the board meeting is on
> 28th of August).   Once done, we should start moving the resources to
> their new locations (servicemix.apache.org).  At the same time, we
> may want to release a 3.1.2 (removing the incubator disclaimers) and
> a 3.2.  I think we can plan on 17/09 for 3.1.2 and 01/10 for 3.2.

I agree that released 3.1.2 as the first release as a TLP is a good
plan. Looks like we've got some work to do to get 3.2 out the door by
October (http://tinyurl.com/2cbduz) and I've got some additional
issues that I need to file and work to do for the archetypes. There
seem to be a handful of smallish bugs there.

> On the middle term, I'd like to start working on ServiceMix 4.0.  We
> already discussed that a bit and the key points is OSGi.  I have been
> experimenting a bit in some branches on svn and I really think OSGi
> will provide the needed platform to base ServiceMix 4.0 on.  At the
> same time, I have been working on a new API for ServiceMix 4.0 which
> is available at  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
> servicemix/branches/servicemix-4.0/api.  This is work in progress and
> I'd like feedback on it as much as possible.  I will start a separate
> thread about ServiceMix 4.0.

I haven't had the time to look at your OSGi work since back in May
when we were at JavaOne so I'll take a look at this. I'd also like to
make sure that we document the new APIs much better than the existing
stuff. One of the biggest shortcomings currently is Javadoc and
comments to provide others an understanding of the code.

> On the long term, I'd like ServiceMix to support JBI 2.0 and SCA.
> It will obviously depend on when JBI 2.0 spec is released...

In addition, I'd like to create more formal thread pooling support
package for SMX and I think that the 4.0 branch is the best place to
do this work. But I won't be starting work on this until we have a
good handle on the 3.1.2 and 3.2 releases.

I have also begun work on providing better Javadocs and comments in
the new servicemix-jms consumer and provider endpoints. Once this is
complete I will begin to doc the new servicemix-http consumer and
provider endpoints. This is all a work in progress that I will just
continually check in as I go. I suppose I should file an issue to
track this work as it is committed.

I was also digging around today in the activemq-web-console wondering
about getting it running  in SMX for monitoring destinations. On a

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/