Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Katie Macpherson <ka...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/16 20:43:11 UTC

Uploading Entire Folders / Multiple Files

Hey everyone -

I've been using the tapestry Upload component for quite sometime, and I
would like to expand the functionality of my application to allow
multi-file/entire folder uploads. Does tapestry provide functionality to
do this? My guess would be no. If anyone has any suggestions on the best
way to do this (with tapestry in mind), I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Katie

Re: Uploading Entire Folders / Multiple Files

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 16, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Ben Eng wrote:
> Maybe someone might be nice enough to write some Tapestry components
> to implement WebDAV.

What exactly would a WebDAV component do?

I'm quite familiar with good ol' RFC2518, but don't see what a Tapestry
component would do with it and how it relates to uploading a folder of
files.  There is now a standard Java API for content management,
though, which is interesting:

	http://incubator.apache.org/projects/jackrabbit.html

Erik

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Cyril Godefroy <cy...@ecomposite.fr>.
Hey Katie,

the issue is not with Tapestry (or Struts, or PHP), but with the way
the browser handles file uploads. This is a no-go situation as the
browser can only send (even select) one file t a time: nott a directory
nor a set of files.

The solutions are multiple. I think of two:
- upload a zip file and expand it once it's all uploaded.
- choose to put several Upload components in the same page. And treat
files in the set- method (as in setFileItemToUpload(IUploadFile file)).

Here are other solutions that can make it:
buy a java ftp and http directory  applet (there's one available for a
reasonable price I've been considering some time ago). Look on Google
for it.