Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Xeth Waxman <xw...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/22 18:35:01 UTC

JasperException thrown with no getMessage()

Greetings:

Thanks to everyone for helping me solve my SSL issue last week.  That
application is now functioning properly.

I have a new question - I have an app which throws a JasperExcep[tion
whenever I try to use a  RequestDispatcher to forward the request.  I
am using Tomcat 5.0.12 - here is the code:
RequestDispatcher rd =
		        getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/goldnotes.jsp");
		try {
			rd.forward(request, response);
		} catch (ServletException e) {
			System.out.println(e.getMessage());
			e.printStackTrace();
		} catch (IOException e) {
			System.out.println(e.getMessage());
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

And here is the error thrown & stack trace:
null (This should be the value of e.getMessage()!!)
org.apache.jasper.JasperException
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper
.java:358)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:3
01)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
icationFilterChain.java:284)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
ilterChain.java:204)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDisp
atcher.java:742)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(Applica
tionDispatcher.java:506)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationD
ispatcher.java:443)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDis
patcher.java:359)
        at com.gcc.goldnotes.OrderDetail.processRequest(OrderDetail.java:230)
        at com.gcc.goldnotes.OrderDetail.doGet(OrderDetail.java:36)

I have checked, and the rd is not null, nor is the request or response
objects.  I don't know how to trouble shoot this error since I don't
have a message coming from it, so I don't know where to look.
Everything seems correct to me - I've used rd.forward(request,
response) before and it's worked fine.  I verified that the page
goldnotes.jsp exists - in fact, this servlet is called by
goldnotes.jsp, and the servlet returns back to goldnotes.jsp.  Is that
legal - could that be my problem?  Is there any other way to get the
cause or location of the error?  (I've used getCause, getMessage,
getLocalizedMessage, all to no avail).  Any assistance is greatly
appreciated!
--
Xeth Waxman
xwaxman@gmail.com