Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Chen Xinli <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/11 10:41:57 UTC

replacing a dead node

Hi,

We have a cassandra cluster of 6 nodes with RF=3, read-repair enabled,
hinted handoff disabled, WRITE with QUORUM, READ with ONE.
we want to rely on read-repair totally for node failure, as returning
inconsistent result temporarily is ok for us.

If a node is temporarily dead and returneded to the cluster later,
everything seems fine.
If a node is damaged and a new node with different IP is added, can I just
assign dead node's initialToken to him and have read-repair handle
everything?

I have read the wiki:
http://www.riptano.com/docs/0.6.5/operations/clustering .
But in order to keep it simple, I don't want to use autobootstrap,
noderepair, removetoken, etc

--
Best Regards,
Chen Xinli

Re: replacing a dead node

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 03:41, Chen Xinli <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a cassandra cluster of 6 nodes with RF=3, read-repair enabled,
> hinted handoff disabled, WRITE with QUORUM, READ with ONE.
> we want to rely on read-repair totally for node failure, as returning
> inconsistent result temporarily is ok for us.
>
> If a node is temporarily dead and returneded to the cluster later,
> everything seems fine.
> If a node is damaged and a new node with different IP is added, can I just
> assign dead node's initialToken to him and have read-repair handle
> everything?

Yes.  Just make sure auto-bootstrap is turned off, as you indicate below.

Gary.