Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "M.Shiva" <si...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/20 08:17:03 UTC

Some Doubts of hadoop functionality

Hi All,

Kindly clarify our doubts mentioned below

1.Did Separate machines/nodes needed for Namenode ,Jobtracker, Slavenodes

2. If hadoop is configured in multinode cluster(with One machine as namenode
and jobtracker and other machine as slave. Namenode acts as a slave node
also) . How to handle the namenode failovers?. If the name node fails, will
it be possible to get the contents of file which i process in slave
datanodes

3.This question is inter-related with second question. Incase of namenode
failovers , Can slave nodes can be configured and can act as a  namenode for
itself and can take the control of the other slave nodes

4.If at all I rebuild the namenode again after a failover. How would old
multinode cluster set up is reproduced again. How to rebuild the same
multinode cluster set up similar to the previous one

5.Can we take backup and restore the files written to hadoop

6.There is no possibility of rewriting the same file in the hadoop (HDFS)

Expecting the detailed answers earnestly.

-M.Shiva

Re: Some Doubts of hadoop functionality

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:
> agreed - i think for anyone who is thinking of using hadoop as a place from where data is served - has to be distrubed by lack of data protection.
>
> replication in hadoop provides protection against hardware failures. not software failures. backups (and depending on how they are implemented - snapshots) protect against errant software. we have seen evidence of the namenode going haywire and causing block deletions/file corruptions at least once. we have seen more reports of the same nature on this list. i don't think hadoop (and hbase) can reach their full potential without a safeguard against software corruptions.

Did you try '-upgrade' option? It is exactly meant for protection
against errant software. Yes, it does not let you keep multiple
'snapshots' though it was part of the initial design of the feature.

Raghu.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

The first goal of hadoop was to get the MTBF of a cluster out to several
years.  Having one privileged master node and many expendable slaves meets
that goal easily.

Google has gone to the next step of making the master be fault tolerant
which allows much longer MTBF's.  Even the current Hadoop design is
acceptable for some applications, especially if you practice the failover.
Every site out there running mySQL faces essentially the same reliability
issue and that isn't a problem for most businesses.

See the presentations on the wiki for more detailed lines of argument on
this topic.

You are also correct that hbase does not do a lot of what hadoop's
map-reduce does for high throughput since it actually does do random seeks
on the disk.  That said, it still gains by having data on redundant machines
and by having many spindles to seek.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@trailfire.com>.
The first step for us is failover.  How do we get hbase up and running
quickly if the master goes down?  Also how do we balance load?

Am I missing something or does using hbase to drive a live site violate many
of the assumptions for hadoop/mapred which was designed to be a great
parallelization framework for background tasks?

I assume Yahoo and Google are using the dfs/gfs in both modes and therefore
have solved the failover and load balancing issues.

Maybe the committers could comment on where they plan to go with this?

On 12/20/07 10:29 AM, "Billy" <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com> wrote:

> I agree I do not thank hadoop/hbase can become production level with out
> means to backup the data with snap shots or some other way to do point in
> time backups that can restore a cluster to a state when the backup was done.
>
> I thank an acceptable level of backup is storing the data with in hadoop as
> one or more files but there should be some kind of safe guard to keep the
> backups from getting deleted/corrupt. Its been a while sense I read googles
> gfs paper but I thank that's how they do it is just take a snapshot and
> store it with in the cluster on there gfs.
>
> Billy
>

> "Joydeep Sen Sarma" <js...@facebook.com> wrote
> in message
> agreed - i think for anyone who is thinking of using hadoop as a place from
> where data is served - has to be distrubed by lack of data protection.
>
> replication in hadoop provides protection against hardware failures. not
> software failures. backups (and depending on how they are implemented -
> snapshots) protect against errant software. we have seen evidence of the
> namenode going haywire and causing block deletions/file corruptions at least
> once. we have seen more reports of the same nature on this list. i don't
> think hadoop (and hbase) can reach their full potential without a safeguard
> against software corruptions.
>
> this question came up a couple of days back as well. one option is switching
> over to solaris+zfs as a way of taking data snapshots. the other option is
> having two hdfs instances (ideally running different versions) and
> replicating data amongst them. both have clear downsides.
>
> (i don't think the traditional notion of backing up to tape (or even virtual
> tape - which is really what our filers are becoming) is worth discussing.
> for large data sets - the restore time would be so bad as to render these
> useless as a recovery path).
>
> ________________________________

thinking about an unofficial solution we�d be interested.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
Well, we are kind of a poster child for this kind of reliability calculus.
We opted for Mogile for real-time serving because we could see how to split
the master into shards and how to do HA on it.  For batch oriented processes
where a good processing model is important, we use hadoop.

I would have been happier pushing for a pure hadoop solution, but I just
don't think that it would fit that well and I would rather have a heavy
hammer and a sharp chisel than being forced to compromise on either a sharp
hammer or a really heavy chisel.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@trailfire.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.