Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com> on 2009/02/27 14:24:33 UTC

Eclipse and maven

I'm trying to set up the structure below which was suggested as an
appropriate structure for maven when there were multiple products
depending upon common modules.

/areteq
	/pom.xml - super pom - contains site information, etc.?
	/modules
		/foundation
			/pom.xml  - to create the foundation jar (common to all products)
			/src .. in all of these
		/engine
			/pom.xml - to create the engine jar ( common to all products )
		/pre-processors
			/pom.xml - to create all pre-processor jars
			/pre-processor1
				/pom.xml - to create pre-processor1 jar
			/pre-processor2
				/ etc.
		/post-processors
		/renderers
	/products
		/pom.xml - to create all products and test?
		/product1
			/pom.xml - to create product1 and test?  Contains list of child
modules it depends upon?
			/src - not clear there is much here except for resources, data,
configurations.
		/product2
			etc.

However, it is difficult to also use this with Eclipse as one cannot
have a project "areteq" and then have other projects, viz.
"foundation" under that.
I want to be able to use "foundation" as an eclipse project for
interactive development and debugging, but use the maven pom's to do
integrated testing
documentation, profiling, etc.

Do I make foundation a separate eclipse project, but use the maven
structure inside of it, and then just have pom's in the areteq project
that refer to the
eclipse projects ( i.e. directories ) using relative paths?  Right now
"areteq" and "foundation" are at the same directory level.

John W.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse" from the base project and it will create all
of the .project and .classpath files for you to import into Eclipse.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I attest that, the latest incarnation of q4e (the dev release at
http://q4e.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/updatesite-dev/) has solved all the
performance issues - I have 40-50 projects on my workspace and it's still
super fast.

Kalle

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.
This might be a dumb question, but it's easy enough to overlook.  You
do, in fact, have a 1.5 JVM installed, right?
(I'm not trying to be a wise ass.  I just haven't seen mention of that
particular fact or question in this thread, yet.)

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.
Thnx!  Hard 2 believe we have different tags 4 the same behavior in
each plugin!

Pardon bad thumbsmanship.  Sent from mobile phone.

On Feb 28, 2009, at 12:55 PM, "Edelson, Justin" <Justin.Edelson@mtvstaff.com

RE: Eclipse and maven

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.
> BTW, where do I put things that define ${maven.java.version}?
In properties inside the pom.

<properties>
  <maven.java.version>1.5</maven.java.version>
</properties>

You could also specify them in a profile in settings.xml, but in this
particular case, that doesn't make sense (at least to me). Properties in
settings.xml should include things that are developer-specific, like the
path to some execuatble.

Justin

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.
Thanks!

RE: Eclipse and maven

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.

RE: Eclipse and maven

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.
Made change suggested to targetJdk, and yes I am running 1.5 as the
default.  Got the following:

[INFO] Generating "PMD Report" report.
[WARNING] Unable to locate Source XRef to link to - DISABLED
[WARNING] File encoding has not been set, using platform encoding
MacRoman, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[WARNING] Error while parsing /Users/woo/Development/workspaces/areteq/
modules/Foundation/src/main/java/com/areteq/common/
HashMapHandler.java: Can't use generics unless running in JDK 1.5 mode!
[WARNING] Error while parsing /Users/woo/Development/workspaces/areteq/
modules/Foundation/src/main/java/com/areteq/common/
HashMapHandler.java: Can't use generics unless running in JDK 1.5 mode!
[

What else can be wrong?

RE: Eclipse and maven

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.

RE: Eclipse and maven

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@gmail.com>.
Only one plugin needs that:

        <plugins>
            <plugin>

                  <configuration>
                        <source>1.5</source>
                        <target>1.5</target>
                  </configuration>
            </plugin>
            etc.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

  Try "mvn help:effective-pom" and check what plugin configuration is used
for that project.

  regards,
  Eugene

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.
I have added:

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

  See comparison at

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by supareno <re...@free.fr>.
David,

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@gmail.com>.
I feel vindicated; in a previous post of mine I was also saying that I thought eclipse didn't like nested projects.  ;-)

The way I took my first baby steps with maven and eclipse is that I used the appfuse modular spring archetype.  From the command line type

  mvn \
    archetype:create \
    -DarchetypeGroupId=org.appfuse.archetypes \
    -DarchetypeArtifactId=appfuse-modular-spring \
    -DremoteRepositories=http://static.appfuse.org/releases \
    -DarchetypeVersion=2.0.2 \
    -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app \
    -DartifactId=myproject

Then look in the myproject directory, and in its core and web directories.

Within eclipse you can do File > New > Other and then in the Select a wizard window go into the Maven folder and select Maven Project and then click Next, then leave Create a simple project unselected, so it brings up the archetype selector, then scroll down and find org.appfuse.archetypes and use one of the appfuse-modular ones.  Keep an eye on the bottom of the eclipse window and the status; it cranks for a while getting it all set up.  Then, outside of eclipse, look at how it set things up, and eyeball the pom.xml files.

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

   Try this: create a folder in one of your project, create a pom.xml in
that folder. Then you can import that nested project with m2eclipse using
"Import... / Maven projects wizard" or if you have .project and .classpath
can also use "Import... / Existing projects into workspace".

  regards,
  Eugene

Re: Eclipse and maven

Posted by John Wooten <jw...@shoulderscorp.com>.