Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Peter Novodvorsky <pe...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/24 14:20:45 UTC

valgrind usage with harmony vm

Hi,

I've tried valgrind's memcheck (http://www.valgrind.org/) with harmony
VM and it helped me to find several memory leaks in thread manager
that won't find without it. I thought that it would be useful for
other developers to use it. I used the following options:

valgrind --leak-check=full --leak-resolution=high --show-reachable=yes
--gen-suppressions=all --error-limit=no --trace-children=yes <your
java launcher> <java launcher parameters>

This will also generate suppresion scripts. You can collect them and
create suppresion file that will help to filter out false positive
bugs from valgrind report.

I haven't used thread checker, cache checker and callgrind from
valgrind suite, so if anyone has positive results with it, please
report.

I propose using valgrind in regression tests.

Peter.

Re: valgrind usage with harmony vm

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried valgrind's memcheck (http://www.valgrind.org/) with harmony
> VM and it helped me to find several memory leaks in thread manager
> that won't find without it. I thought that it would be useful for
> other developers to use it. I used the following options:
>
> valgrind --leak-check=full --leak-resolution=high --show-reachable=yes
> --gen-suppressions=all --error-limit=no --trace-children=yes <your
> java launcher> <java launcher parameters>
>
> This will also generate suppresion scripts. You can collect them and
> create suppresion file that will help to filter out false positive
> bugs from valgrind report.
>
> I haven't used thread checker, cache checker and callgrind from
> valgrind suite, so if anyone has positive results with it, please
> report.
>
> I propose using valgrind in regression tests.

Cool, you may want to consider sharing your suppression scripts (via
JIRA) for here [1] where we have similar files for other analysis tools.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/standard/tools/

Regards,
Tim