Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/10/06 16:35:51 UTC

Status of sling provisioning model & documentation of models

Hi

while working on SLING-7960 I also came across the integration tests for
the jcr-repoinit module and found if very interesting. Compared to other
(older) approaches it looks pretty slick and uses the sling feature module
(provisioning model? Unsure about the correct naming) to build the runtime
environment for the integration tests, see [1] and the pom [2].

But I wonder where the artifacts it depends on are documented. The website
where the Sling provisioning model lacks this (even the reference to it).
Is there documentation out there I missed?

Jörg

[1]
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-repoinit/blob/master/src/test/provisioning/it-model.txt
[2]
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-repoinit/blob/master/pom.xml#L111

[3] https://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/slingstart.html

--
Cheers,
Jörg Hoh,

http://cqdump.wordpress.com
Twitter: @joerghoh

Re: Status of sling provisioning model & documentation of models

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Saturday 06 October 2018 18:35:51 Jörg Hoh wrote:
> Hi

Hi Jörg,

> while working on SLING-7960 I also came across the integration tests for
> the jcr-repoinit module and found if very interesting. Compared to other
> (older) approaches it looks pretty slick and uses the sling feature module
> (provisioning model? Unsure about the correct naming) to build the runtime
> environment for the integration tests, see [1] and the pom [2].
>
> But I wonder where the artifacts it depends on are documented. The website
> where the Sling provisioning model lacks this (even the reference to it).
> Is there documentation out there I missed?

did you see the note on [3]? "The OSGi Feature Model is meant to eventually
replace the Sling Provisioning Model. If you are starting a new Sling project,
please ask on the Sling developers list about the status of the Feature Model
to figure out which is best suited to your needs."

Which other approaches do you mean? Manually setting up a Sling instance is of
course highly discouraged and we have an extension for Pax Exam which takes
care: http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/testing-paxexam.html

Regards,
O.

Posted by Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Bertrand,

Am Di., 9. Okt. 2018 um 10:23 Uhr schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@apache.org>:

Not sure what you mean by that, the provisioning model is documented
> at [3] that you mentioned, and that page points to
> http://sling.apache.org/components/slingstart-maven-plugin/ which has
> the Maven plugin details, what do you think is missing?

I miss the documentation for the artifact
org.apache.sling/org.apache.sling.launchpad/9/slingstart
It is mentioned as an example in [3], but I don't find a good documentation
what's actually in there. Is this meant to be basis which you should always
include to get an executable?

Maybe the problem is a lack of understanding for the situations where I
should be using the provisioning model / feature model.  Maybe as a
consumer of Sling / AEM it's not relevant for me at all. Or maybe the only
relevant usecase is to build an exectuable I can use for integration
testing, as in the case of repoinit. The docs [3] are not so much of a help
here.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Joerg,

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 6:36 PM Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...it looks pretty slick and uses the sling feature module
> (provisioning model? Unsure about the correct naming) to build the runtime
> environment for the integration tests, see [1] and the pom [2]...

That's provisioning model indeed, and as Oli indicates work is ongoing
to replace that with the Feature Model.

But for now the provisioning model works fine, until we have a
documented improved way, IMO.

> ...I wonder where the artifacts it depends on are documented...

Not sure what you mean by that, the provisioning model is documented
at [3] that you mentioned, and that page points to
http://sling.apache.org/components/slingstart-maven-plugin/ which has
the Maven plugin details, what do you think is missing?

-Bertrand