Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/17 00:37:25 UTC

Subentry modifications : a question

  Hi guys,

when we submit a modifyRequest, we have three cases to deal with in the
subentryInyterceptor :
1) The entry is not a subentry. Normal case, we just have to process the
modification (of course, we will add the requested operational
attributes if it's associated with one or more AP)
2) The entry is a subentry (it has the 'subentry' ObjectClass)
3) The entry is not a subentry, but we add the 'subentry' ObjectClass.

Question : is this thrid case legal ? Can we transform a normal entry to
become a subentry ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Subentry modifications : a question

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> when we submit a modifyRequest, we have three cases to deal with in the
> subentryInyterceptor :
> 1) The entry is not a subentry. Normal case, we just have to process the
> modification (of course, we will add the requested operational attributes if
> it's associated with one or more AP)
> 2) The entry is a subentry (it has the 'subentry' ObjectClass)
> 3) The entry is not a subentry, but we add the 'subentry' ObjectClass.
>
> Question : is this thrid case legal ? Can we transform a normal entry to
> become a subentry ?

There is also a 4th case: The entry is a subentry, but we delete the
'subentry' object class.

'subentry' is a structural object class. In order to add it to an
entry would require to delete the existing structural object class.
I'm not sure if we support the modification of a structural object
class at all? Anyway, I think it makes no sense to transform an entry
to an subentry (and vice versa), because it totally changes the scope
of the object.

Kind Regards,
Stefan