Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/06 16:26:23 UTC

Parquet versus ORC

Hi.

I have been hearing a fair bit about Parquet versus ORC tables.

In a nutshell I can say that Parquet is a predecessor to ORC (both provide
columnar type storage) but I notice that it is still being used
especially with Spark users.

In mitigation it appears that Spark users are reluctant to use ORC despite
the fact that with inbuilt Store Index it offers superior optimisation with
data and stats at file, stripe and row group level. Both Parquet and ORC
offer SNAPPY compression as well. ORC offers ZLIB as default.

There may be other than technical reasons for this adaption, for example
too much reliance on Hive plus the fact that it is easier to flatten
Parquet than ORC (whatever that means).

I for myself use either text files or ORC with Hive and Spark and don't
really see any reason why I should adopt others like Avro, Parquet etc.

Appreciate any verification or experience on this.

Thanks
,

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Re: Parquet versus ORC

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.
If you google, you'll find benchmarks showing each to be faster than the
other. In so far as there's any reality to which is faster in any given
comparison, it seems to be a result of each incorporating ideas from the
other, or at least going through development cycles to beat each other.

ORC is very fast for working with hive, and we use it at Handy. That said,
the broader support for parquet might enable things like performing your
own insertions into tables by dropping new files in there, or doing your
own concatenation and cleanup.

In summary, until you benchmark your own usage I'd assume performance is
the same. If you're not going to benchmark, go by what's likely to be most
convenient.

--
Want to work at Handy? Check out our culture deck and open roles
<http://www.handy.com/careers>

Re: Parquet versus ORC

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,