Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/09 15:59:48 UTC

IIS 10.0 as Tomcat reverse proxy does not send auth_type and remote_user AJP heder

I use IIS 10.0 as a reverse proxy of Tomcat 7.
IIS 10.0 use Windows Authentication.
When I run the javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getAuthType()
method I get the null value.
When I run the javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getRemoteUser()
method I get the null value.
Using IIS 6.1 with the same version of Tomcat everything works fine.
When I run the javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getAuthType()
method I get "NTLM" string.
When I run the javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getRemoteUser()
method I get the name of the user who authenticated with IIS.
The configuration of the two versions of IIS appears to be the same.
Seems to be missing some AJP headers including: remote_user (0x03) and
auth_type (0x04) which instead are sent from IIS 6.1.

Below isapi connector debug log (auth and user are null):
Fri Jul 09 17:00:52.743 2021] [4608:4712] [debug]
init_ws_service::jk_isapi_plugin.c (3295): Service protocol=HTTP/1.1
method=GET host=10.10.12.102 addr=10.10.12.102
name=qa-b2b.dasitgroup.it port=443 auth=(null) user=(null)
uri=/s2wweb/faces/login.xhtml

Product: Tomcat Connectors
Component: isapi
Version: 1.2.48
Windows version: Windows Server 2016
IIS Version: 10.0
Tomcat version: 7

Thank you,
Paolo Clerici

Re: IIS 10.0 as Tomcat reverse proxy does not send auth_type and remote_user AJP heder

Posted by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com>.
> Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but a basic question :
> In the tomcat AJP Connector configuration, is "tomcatAuthentication" set to "no" ?

tomcatAuthentication is disabled (see configuration below)
<Connector port="8009" tomcatAuthentication="false" protocol="AJP/1.3"
redirectPort="8443" />

The same Tomcat instance with an IIS 6.1 as a reverse proxy works fine.

Thanks,
Paolo

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/07/2021 10:20, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 16:35, Paolo Clerici wrote:
>>> I don't see any ISAPI redirector set up there. I was expecting to see
>>> something like the steps described here:
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html
>> Yes, if I have not missed something, I think I have done everything
>> that is written in the document.
>> The only differences are that there are two sites "prod" and "test" so
>> the only differences for "test" are:
>> 1) Dll folder: C:\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
>> Redirector\test\bin
>> 2) ISAPI filter name: "Jakarta Connector test" (not "tomcat")
>>
>> isapi_redirect.properties file content:
>> extension_uri=/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
>> log_file=C:\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
>> Redirector\test\log\mod_jk.log
>> log_level=warn
>> worker_file=C:\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
>> Redirector\test\conf\workers.properties
>> worker_mount_file=C:\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
>> Redirector\test\conf\uriworkermap.properties
>>
>> workers.properties file content:
>> worker.list=dgroupnex02,dgroupnex01
>> worker.dgroupnex02.type=ajp13
>> worker.dgroupnex02.host=10.1.2.93
>> worker.dgroupnex02.port=8009
>> worker.dgroupnex01.type=ajp13
>> worker.dgroupnex01.host=10.1.2.39
>> worker.dgroupnex01.port=8009
>>
>> uriworkermap.properties file content:
>> /S2W/*=dgroupnex02
>> /s2wweb/*=dgroupnex01
>> /websat/*=dgroupnex02
>>
>> I would like to tell you that ISAPI redirection of all virtual folders
>> works perfectly. The only thing that doesn't work is sending the
>> authorization type and user from IIS to Tomcat.
>> The only application that needs this functionality is "s2wweb".
>
> How did you create the s2wweb virtual directory? Please provide exact
> steps. Was is created under the test site or under the jakarta virtual
> directory?
>
> To be honest, I am far from convinced that I have recreated your
> configuration. Receiving the configuration bit by bit and ambiguities in
> the information received (is the test site configured for anon
> authentication, windows authentication or both?) makes me thing at least
> one key bit of information is missing.
>
> Can you provide the complete set of steps required to configure a clean
> IIS 10 install to recreate this issue?

I have also been trying to recreate your IIS 6.1 setup without success.
Which versions are you using for:
- operating system
- ISAPI connector
- Tomcat
?

And, similarly to above, what are the steps to recreate your test setup
from a clean IIS install?

Mark

Re: IIS 10.0 as Tomcat reverse proxy does not send auth_type and remote_user AJP heder

Posted by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,
Today I finally managed to solve the problem.
The problem was due to the fact that Windows Authentication was
enabled only at the level of the "s2wweb" virtual folder and not at
the level of the "Jackarta Connector" virtual folder (at the same
level as "s2wweb").
Thanks for the support and sorry for the mistake.

Paolo

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Clerici <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

> Are you connecting from a machine that isn't part of the Windows AD?
I have tried both from PCs connected to AD and from PCs not connected to AD.

> Normally, I'd expect authentication to work without any password prompt.
If I connect from PC AD I am not asked for credentials (correct). If I
connect from a non-AD PC I am prompted for credentials (correctly).
The credential check is done correctly by IIS.

> Are any other authentication mechanisms enabled?
For virtual directory "s2wweb" only "Windows Authentication" is
enabled ("Anonymous Authentication" is disabled). For site "test" is
enabled "Anonymous Authentication".

> Are your two test machines (working and not working) connecting to the
> same Tomcat instance (and on the same port)?
Yes.
Current IIS server needs to be migrated to a new IIS server. The
current server (Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 6.1) is connected to
the same Tomcat server (another Windows Server 2008 R2 with Tomcat
7.0) on the same port (8009).

Thank you very much,
Paolo

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.