Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by andrewl <an...@hostahaven.com> on 2000/12/01 09:24:24 UTC

Re: Failed to startup Tomcat...

Hi,

I am trying to run Tomcat for the first time.  For some reason, tomcat wants to run on port 8080, even though
I have a proxy server running on that port (I see in server.xml that this is the default... so I changed that
setting to 8081...don't know if that will work but it appears to get me beyond the BindAddress error.

When I run /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
the system goes through the first stage ok, gives me a pound sign, then starts to execute what I suppose is
another script.

And during that process, I get the following messages:
Starting tomcat.  Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
2000-12-10 02:04:30 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx(  )
2000-12-10 02:04:30 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( /test )
2000-12-10 02:04:33 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting HttpConnectHandler on 8081
2000-12-10 02:04:34 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting Ajp12ConnectionHandler on 8007

There is drawn out pause (infinite) pause, so I control-C out of there and run
ps -elf | grep java
and there are probably 20 processes started when there were non-before.

Am I just not waiting long enough or am I stuck in some infinite loop?

I am using tomcat 3.2 and JSDK1.3.
I believe I have my JAVA_HOME set properly.  /usr/local/lib/j2sdk1.3/bin (which is where java is)
I believe I have my TOMCAT_HOME set properly to: /usr/local/tomcat

There IS a new directory called <work> under /usr/local/tomcat but there is no directory <classes> there.

Am I supposed to be setting up a CLASSPATH env variable?  Suggestions anyone?

BTW, would someone be able to remind me just WHY I am trying to do this?  What will be the benefits of having
this running?  Will web server development be easier?  Any sites running Tomcat created apps out there?

TIA,

--
Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.

Re: Failed to startup Tomcat...

Posted by andrewl <an...@hostahaven.com>.
Hi Carlos,

I'm sorry but I don't understand your message, to wit:
------------
it is all rigth, is running
make http://...:8080
---------------

Here is another hint... In the uguide, it states
                A Minimalistic Apache-Tomcat Configuration

 #      A minimalistic Apache-Tomcat Configuration File    #

 # Note: this file should be appended or included into your httpd.conf

 LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so
------------------------

Perhaps I need to do append this file to my httpd.conf, however, I see this
request to
<LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so>
but I don't have a file of that name in the /usr/local/apache/libexe directory.

In fact, I searched through the whole system and did not find that file.  Isn't
Tomcat 3.2 supposed to
use mod_jk.so?  I thought I saw that some place.  However, the instructions
show this mod_jserv.so file and I don't have a mod_jk.so file either.  Is this
not included in the distribution?

So, that's the latest from Lake Woebegone...

Help!

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.

Carlos wrote:

> [...]

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516

Re: Failed to startup Tomcat...

Posted by Carlos <li...@lpis.com>.
it is all rigth, is running