Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Randall J. Parr" <RP...@TemporalArts.COM> on 2001/03/29 22:19:51 UTC

Re: Common sub-project for Xalan/Xerces: discuss: standards-basedfiles vs. common utils

Kelly Campbell wrote:

> [...]

I really think this is a good idea.

I would like to ask if you'all are aware of the many, many discussions of this
same are that have been ongoing in the jarkarta lists (esp the Ant list) about
this same kind of factoring out basic libraries.

I, as someone who uses/develops with some from all the various Apache projects
would really, really, like to see some agreement on base / foundattion packages.
As mentioned before the common standards are kind of a given. I would really
like to see the Apache projects using common packages for logging, configuration
/ property file loading, and some of that. Not only would it make life easier to
use and administer, it would make a strong case for using the common packages in
our own development and for contributing fixes/extensions/documentation of our
own.

Thanks

R.Parr

Re: Common sub-project for Xalan/Xerces: discuss: standards-basedfiles vs. common utils

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
James Melton wrote:

> A discussion thread in xalan-dev has brought up the idea of creating a
> shared code base that includes things like the SAX and abstract DOM
> classes and an Exception base class. What are people's thoughts on this?

Are we going to divide this ADK into Java and C++, like Xerces-J and Xerces-C?

Since there is no standard C++ bindings, currently it is up to Xerces-C to define
it.  So for example for DOM, Xerces-C has something like "DOM_Document",
"DOM_Element"; and with the proposed new faster DOM, we will have something like
"IDOM_Document", "IDOM_Element".   So when we create the new "ADK-C", does this mean
we are going to define a pseudo-standard C++ bindings and ask all projects to
follow?  And are we going to pull the existing "DOM_*" or the new "IDOM_*" or both
from Xerces-C to ADK-C??

Tinny