Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.net> on 2006/04/29 20:32:28 UTC

Custom Pipeline Caching

Hello,

I have a complex pipeline which contains some self written components
that generate and transform data in steps that cannot really be cached
(dependent on external resources like the result of a request...).

What are the possibilities to implement a custom cachin scheme? Is there
a way to define a step in the pipeline where caching is possible again
(not just if all preceding components are cache-aware?).

Greetings,

Nils

Re: Custom Pipeline Caching - Using DelayedValidity?

Posted by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.net>.
Well, after browsing around I wonder if I could use a delayed validity
to implement this. It would not help me skipping the request step for
the external content, but I could get a validity on the content and
therefore skip the following transformers.

Am I right with the delayed validity beeing the solution here?

What is the best start point to implement delayed validity (sample
component)?

Greetings,

Nils

Re: Custom Pipeline Caching

Posted by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.net>.
Hello Antonio,

I am not sure whether I can use the ExpiresCachingPipeline because I am
implementing a kind of Proxy, so I have to make sure the content is up2date.

To explain it better, here a simple description of the pipeline:

1. Transformations (Preparation)
2. Fetching of external content
3. Transformation

After having fetched the content, I can decide if it changed or not, so
I could skip step 3. I can't cache step 2 as I can never be sure that
the external content did not change...

How can I implement a cache mechanism for my special case?

Re: Custom Pipeline Caching

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Nils,