Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2008/02/01 19:41:32 UTC

[HttpClient] to split or not to split

Hi folks,

should we split module-client into multiple modules?
There are currently four informal units [1] there:
- HttpAuth
- HttpConn
- HttpCookie
- HttpClient

Most of the arguments _for_ splitting module-client
are hypothetical. We are not going to put any modules
on a separate release cycle in the forseeable future.
Oleg is our only release manager, and given the
complexity of the release process [2] as it is now,
I have no intention of volunteering. Anyone else maybe?
If users need only some of the informal units, having
the others in the same JAR won't hurt.

The one thing I really dislike about the structure of
module-client is that we have a single compilation unit
for informal units with different dependencies.
HttpConn and HttpClient depend on logging, while
HttpAuth and HttpCookie do not. HttpAuth depends on
commons-codec, which transitively extends to HttpClient
but not HttpConn. (I'm not sure whether HttpCookie also
uses commons-codec, probably not.)

Once more, this has to do with Maven. I don't mind all
those classes ending up in the same JAR, but I would
prefer to have them in separate compilation units.
(Our) Maven compilation units are modules, and each
module ends up in a separate JAR.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

cheers,
  Roland

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpComponents
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpComponentsCoreReleaseProcess

Re: [HttpClient] to split or not to split

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 19:19 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > No one seems interested. Let's bury this idea (well, until HttpClient 5
> > probably)
>
> Well, I for one am interested in having a maintainable code base.
> I don't care _how_ we achieve this. If it means to drop the
> separate dependencies and for example allow usage of logging all
> over module-client, that's fine with me.

Roland

I believe it is easier to drop the separate dependencies.

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> No one seems interested. Let's bury this idea (well, until HttpClient 5
> probably)

Well, I for one am interested in having a maintainable code base.
I don't care _how_ we achieve this. If it means to drop the
separate dependencies and for example allow usage of logging all
over module-client, that's fine with me. If it means that we

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 19:41 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> should we split module-client into multiple modules?
> There are currently four informal units [1] there:
> - HttpAuth
> - HttpConn
> - HttpCookie
> - HttpClient
>
> Most of the arguments _for_ splitting module-client
> are hypothetical. We are not going to put any modules
> on a separate release cycle in the forseeable future.
> Oleg is our only release manager, and given the
> complexity of the release process [2] as it is now,
> I have no intention of volunteering. Anyone else maybe?
> If users need only some of the informal units, having
> the others in the same JAR won't hurt.
>
> The one thing I really dislike about the structure of
> module-client is that we have a single compilation unit
> for informal units with different dependencies.
> HttpConn and HttpClient depend on logging, while
> HttpAuth and HttpCookie do not. HttpAuth depends on
> commons-codec, which transitively extends to HttpClient
> but not HttpConn. (I'm not sure whether HttpCookie also
> uses commons-codec, probably not.)
>
> Once more, this has to do with Maven. I don't mind all
> those classes ending up in the same JAR, but I would
> prefer to have them in separate compilation units.
> (Our) Maven compilation units are modules, and each
> module ends up in a separate JAR.
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions?

Roland