Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Edward Song <Ed...@nuhorizons.com> on 2008/04/07 21:53:13 UTC

Downloading Apache Maven Repositories : Proxy Workaround

For demo purposes, I wanted to show the benefits of Apache Maven to a few
others.

There is a firewall and proxy over here that will not allow Maven to go get
artifacts from the central maven repository and the networking guy will not
provide the necessary authentication info to allow Maven to tunnel through
the proxy.

Is there a way to get an install of Maven which contains the latest artifact
snapshots by default?

Looking for a quick fix.

Thanks in advance.  Ed

Re: Downloading Apache Maven Repositories : Proxy Workaround

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 09/04/2008, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:
> Since you mentioned it, and I wasn't aware that there was a standalone
>  archiva, I decided to check it out. Firing it up with no config, just
>  adding an admin user uses up ~130MB of ram. A standalone default Nexus
>  config is using only ~28. Artifactory is using about ~50mb. On a server
>  this might not be important, but on a developer machine that could be
>  significant. In fact I never thought much about it, but we are running
>  the public nexus instance[1] that is hosting the proxy and repositories
>  for our two CI systems and the M2eclipse build, with the JDK default of
>  64mb of ram.

Not really the right forum to debate such a thing, but I question your
results since I run with -Xmx64m in the wrapper also, continuously on
my macbook. It's true that the use of JSP and the default of Derby
incurs some overhead which is why I expect that Archiva's figures are
closer to that of Artifactory's.

- Brett

RE: Downloading Apache Maven Repositories : Proxy Workaround

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

[1]http://repository.sonatype.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Song <Ed...@nuhorizons.com>.
Thanks Wayne for your reply,

They're super strict with their networking and only allow HTTP traffic
through a firewall and the demo computer is onsite.  So installs can only be
done from an internal approved resource.

Despite their tight restrictions, they have a manual build process, and need
some way to demonstrate that loosening the restriction via Maven and
Archiva, would be a good solution for them.

My current plan is to use Archiva on a laptop and bring it in to the client
site, which works great by the way.  But this is an instance, where a build
with the most up to date snapshots would be beneficial.

I guess my query is, of installing an internal repository by default,
without looking towards an external repository at all for the initial
snapshots?

Thanks,
Edward Song

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.