Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/02/15 23:59:45 UTC

Thinking ahead to 2.4

Folks,

 With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to hadoop-2.4. I think it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we finished up pieces that didn't make it in such as HDFS Caching & Support for Heterogenous Storage.

 Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover (YARN-149), Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline Server (YARN-1530) are either complete or very close to done, and I think we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar to what happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.

 I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing. As such, I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be good shape sometime to release 2.4 in mid-March.

 I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.

 Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to see in it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out in April.

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Arun,
can you mark https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-6130 as a blocker?
Because we cannot upgrade to 2.4 from an old release(older than 2.0 at
least, without INODE)

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Sorry ignore my inputs.

Just keep sub tasks as blocker, because the whole Umbrella tasks may not
block release.

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Gang,

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Gang,

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Gang,

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Gang,

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Azuryy & Suresh. I've updated the roadmap wiki to reflect this.

Arun

On Feb 20, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Arun,
>
> Some of the previously 2.4 targeted features were made available in 2.3:
> - Heterogeneous storage support
> - Datanode cache
>
> The following are being targeted for 2.4:
> - Use protobuf for fsimge (already in)
> - ACLs (in trunk. In a week or so, this will be merged to branch-2.4)
> - Rolling upgrades (last bunch of jiras being worked in feature branch.
> Will be in 2.4 in around two weeks. Currently testing is in progress)
>
> So HDFS features should be ready in two weeks.
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Azuryy <az...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I think you omit some key pieces in 2.4
>>
>> Protobuf fsimage, rolling upgrade are also targeting 2.4
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone5s
>>
>>> On 2014年2月16日, at 6:59, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to
>> hadoop-2.4. I think it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we
>> finished up pieces that didn't make it in such as HDFS Caching & Support
>> for Heterogenous Storage.
>>>
>>> Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover
>> (YARN-149), Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline
>> Server (YARN-1530) are either complete or very close to done, and I think
>> we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar to what
>> happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks
>> of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.
>>>
>>> I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing.
>> As such, I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be
>> good shape sometime to release 2.4 in mid-March.
>>>
>>> I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>>>
>>> Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to
>> see in it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out
>> in April.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> http://hortonworks.com/download/
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Azuryy & Suresh. I've updated the roadmap wiki to reflect this.

Arun

On Feb 20, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Arun,
>
> Some of the previously 2.4 targeted features were made available in 2.3:
> - Heterogeneous storage support
> - Datanode cache
>
> The following are being targeted for 2.4:
> - Use protobuf for fsimge (already in)
> - ACLs (in trunk. In a week or so, this will be merged to branch-2.4)
> - Rolling upgrades (last bunch of jiras being worked in feature branch.
> Will be in 2.4 in around two weeks. Currently testing is in progress)
>
> So HDFS features should be ready in two weeks.
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Azuryy <az...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I think you omit some key pieces in 2.4
>>
>> Protobuf fsimage, rolling upgrade are also targeting 2.4
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone5s
>>
>>> On 2014年2月16日, at 6:59, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to
>> hadoop-2.4. I think it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we
>> finished up pieces that didn't make it in such as HDFS Caching & Support
>> for Heterogenous Storage.
>>>
>>> Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover
>> (YARN-149), Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline
>> Server (YARN-1530) are either complete or very close to done, and I think
>> we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar to what
>> happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks
>> of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.
>>>
>>> I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing.
>> As such, I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be
>> good shape sometime to release 2.4 in mid-March.
>>>
>>> I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>>>
>>> Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to
>> see in it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out
>> in April.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> http://hortonworks.com/download/
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Azuryy & Suresh. I've updated the roadmap wiki to reflect this.

Arun

On Feb 20, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Arun,
>
> Some of the previously 2.4 targeted features were made available in 2.3:
> - Heterogeneous storage support
> - Datanode cache
>
> The following are being targeted for 2.4:
> - Use protobuf for fsimge (already in)
> - ACLs (in trunk. In a week or so, this will be merged to branch-2.4)
> - Rolling upgrades (last bunch of jiras being worked in feature branch.
> Will be in 2.4 in around two weeks. Currently testing is in progress)
>
> So HDFS features should be ready in two weeks.
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Azuryy <az...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I think you omit some key pieces in 2.4
>>
>> Protobuf fsimage, rolling upgrade are also targeting 2.4
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone5s
>>
>>> On 2014年2月16日, at 6:59, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to
>> hadoop-2.4. I think it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we
>> finished up pieces that didn't make it in such as HDFS Caching & Support
>> for Heterogenous Storage.
>>>
>>> Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover
>> (YARN-149), Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline
>> Server (YARN-1530) are either complete or very close to done, and I think
>> we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar to what
>> happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks
>> of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.
>>>
>>> I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing.
>> As such, I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be
>> good shape sometime to release 2.4 in mid-March.
>>>
>>> I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>>>
>>> Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to
>> see in it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out
>> in April.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> http://hortonworks.com/download/
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Azuryy & Suresh. I've updated the roadmap wiki to reflect this.

Arun

On Feb 20, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Arun,
>
> Some of the previously 2.4 targeted features were made available in 2.3:
> - Heterogeneous storage support
> - Datanode cache
>
> The following are being targeted for 2.4:
> - Use protobuf for fsimge (already in)
> - ACLs (in trunk. In a week or so, this will be merged to branch-2.4)
> - Rolling upgrades (last bunch of jiras being worked in feature branch.
> Will be in 2.4 in around two weeks. Currently testing is in progress)
>
> So HDFS features should be ready in two weeks.
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Azuryy <az...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I think you omit some key pieces in 2.4
>>
>> Protobuf fsimage, rolling upgrade are also targeting 2.4
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone5s
>>
>>> On 2014年2月16日, at 6:59, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to
>> hadoop-2.4. I think it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we
>> finished up pieces that didn't make it in such as HDFS Caching & Support
>> for Heterogenous Storage.
>>>
>>> Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover
>> (YARN-149), Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline
>> Server (YARN-1530) are either complete or very close to done, and I think
>> we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar to what
>> happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks
>> of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.
>>>
>>> I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing.
>> As such, I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be
>> good shape sometime to release 2.4 in mid-March.
>>>
>>> I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>>>
>>> Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to
>> see in it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out
>> in April.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> http://hortonworks.com/download/
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Arun,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Arun,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Arun,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Arun,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Azuryy <az...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Other than Azuryy I haven't heard from HDFS folks. To help move this discussion along, I've created branch-2.4. Let's continue discussions here.

Committers, please exercise caution to ensure we only commit necessary bug-fixes henceforth.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Feb 17, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Committers, please exercise caution to ensure we only commit necessary bug-fixes henceforth.

Forgot to add…
Committers: I've created version "2.5.0" in jira with the expectation that most things will now commit to that version.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--