Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1999/02/04 15:43:06 UTC

ANNOUNCE: mod_ssl 2.2

As always, I just announce major revisions and not minor patchlevels to not
annoy people with announcements every week. But now that the third mod_ssl
development cycle was entered it's again my pleasure to announce the new
version: mod_ssl 2.2.  I just want to remind you to look at the latest
developments in the `SSL support for Apache' area when you've still not done
this in the past.

The major new thing in mod_ssl 2.2 is the ability for per-directory context
reconfiguration of SSL parameters. It's an interesting concept because it's
implemented by forced SSL renegotiations between the HTTP request and the HTTP
response. When you're interested in such stuff, have a look at it. The
official announcement text follows...

                      _             _
  _ __ ___   ___   __| |    ___ ___| |
 | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / _` |   / __/ __| |
 |_| |_| |_|\___/ \__,_|___|___/___/_|   Apache with the security of SSLeay.''
                      |_____|
                                       ``Ralf Engelschall has released an
 mod_ssl - Apache Interface to SSLeay    excellent module that integrates
 http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/  Apache and SSLeay.''
 Version 2.2                               -- Tim J. Hudson, SSLeay co-author

 This Apache module provides strong cryptography for the Apache 1.3 webserver
 via the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and Transport Layer Security (TLS
 v1) protocols by the help of the SSL/TLS implementation library SSLeay from
 Eric A. Young and Tim J. Hudson. The mod_ssl package was created in April
 1998 by Ralf S. Engelschall and was originally derived from software
 developed by Ben Laurie for use in the Apache-SSL HTTP server project.

 As a summary, here are its main features:

   o  Open-Source software (BSD-style license)
   o  Useable for both commercial and non-commercial use
   o  Available for both Unix and Win32 platforms
   o  128-bit strong cryptography world-wide
   o  Support for SSLv2, SSLv3 and TLSv1 protocols
   o  Clean reviewable ANSI C source code
   o  Clean Apache module architecture
   o  Integrates seamlessly into Apache through an Extended API (EAPI)
   o  Full Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
   o  Support for the SSLeay+RSAref US-situation
   o  Advanced pass-phrase handling for private keys
   o  X.509 certificate based authentication for both client and server
   o  Support for per-URL renegotiation of SSL handshake parameters
   o  Support for explicit seeding of the PRNG from external sources
   o  Additional boolean-expression based access control facility
   o  Backward compatibility to other Apache SSL solutions
   o  Inter-process SSL session cache
   o  Powerful dedicated SSL engine logging facility
   o  Simple and robust application to Apache source trees
   o  Fully integrated into the Apache 1.3 configuration mechanism
   o  Additional integration into the Apache Autoconf-style Interface (APACI)
   o  Assistance in X.509 v3 certificate generation

 For more details about mod_ssl please visit its net locations under:
 http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/
  ftp://ftp.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com