Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Valentin Matilla <va...@kurago.software> on 2023/06/14 07:50:07 UTC

Is it possible to measure the time to receive a callback?

Hello,

we are considering using JMeter to load test one of our backend applications. The truth is that JMeter looks very good and we like a lot what we are reading. We just have a question about how to test one of our scenarios.

Some of the tasks that our application does take a lot of time (between 5-10 minutes). The client sends a request, an identifier is returned, the task starts processing and when the task is finished the service does a callback to send the result.

[cid:image001.png@01D99EA5.97D10270]

Can JMeter test the time between sending the request and receiving the response?

Thank you very much

Valentín Matilla
SMAL - Software Engineer

[cid:image002.gif@01D99EA5.97D10270]

Kurago Software, S.L.
San Prudencio 34, 2 | 01005 Vitoria-Gasteiz (SPAIN)
valentin.matilla@kurago.software<ma...@kurago.software>
www.kurago.software<http://www.kurago.software/>

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.
Your data is processed by KURAGO in compliance with the existing contractual or business relationship, to resolve your queries. For more information on data processing, you can access our privacy policy<https://www.kurago.software/en/privacy-policy/>.

Re: Is it possible to measure the time to receive a callback?

Posted by Dmitri T <gl...@live.com>.
Valentin Matilla wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are considering using JMeter to load test one of our backend
> applications. The truth is that JMeter looks very good and we like a
> lot what we are reading. We just have a question about how to test one
> of our scenarios.
>
> Some of the tasks that our application does take a lot of time
> (between 5-10 minutes). The client sends a request, an identifier is
> returned, the task starts processing and when the task is finished the
> service does a callback to send the result.
>

> Can JMeter test the time between sending the request and receiving the
> response?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> *Valentín Matilla*
>
> *SMAL - Software Engineer*
>
> **
>
> *Kurago Software, S.L.*
>
> San Prudencio 34, 2 | 01005 Vitoria-Gasteiz (SPAIN)
>
> valentin.matilla@kurago.software <ma...@kurago.software>
>
> www.kurago.software <http://www.kurago.software/>
>
> The content of this email is confidential and intended for the
> recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share
> any part of this message with any third party, without a written
> consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please
> ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.
> Your data is processed by KURAGO in compliance with the existing
> contractual or business relationship, to resolve your queries. For
> more information on data processing, you can access our privacy policy
> <https://www.kurago.software/en/privacy-policy/>.

Take a look at Transaction Controller
<https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#Transaction_Controller>,
it sums up the elapsed time of its child Samplers
<https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#samplers>
and reports it as a "transaction".

When it comes to the approach normally when people need to test some
background action like batch or callback they create a Sampler which is
checking the operation status and put it under the While Controller
<https://www.blazemeter.com/blog/while-controller-jmeter> so JMeter
"waits" for the operation to complete. In conjunction with the
Transaction Controller you will get the total operation time.

However depending on the network protocol used in your system under test
you will need to take another approach, JMeter is very flexible and if
it doesn't support some scenario you can always create your own plugin.
<https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/jmeter_tutorial.html>