Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 07:01:43 UTC

Re: false "recover files" messages

Thanks, Terry. I'll try to figure out how to try this.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Found this: "You've to delete the registrymodifications.xcu file in the
> root folder of the profile."

Reflections
http://no2shrinkwrapthoughts.blogspot.com/
Einstein Express
http://einsteinxpress.blogspot.com/
Dogs Ate My Manuscript
http://zero2inifinity.blogspot.com/
Photonics - Illustrated Nanostories
http://photonicfiction.blogspot.com/

*"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be." * -- Yogi Berra.

Re: false "recover files" messages

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Am 01.03.2012 07:01, schrieb Umberto Tosi:
> Thanks, Terry. I'll try to figure out how to try this.
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Terry<te...@yahoo.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> Found this: "You've to delete the registrymodifications.xcu file in the
>> root folder of the profile."

May be: In the User directory is a folder crashdata. Delete the content
of it.
Don't forget to terminate OOo and quickstarter.

Greetings

--
PGP Schlüssel: 311D1055
http://keyserver.pgp.com

Re: false "recover files" messages

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
There seem to be some bug reports:
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=file%20recovery;list_id=7414

I've seen too many problems reported to trust it but most people do.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
You could try a fresh profile.  Rename the existing one so that you can reinstate it if that doesn't fix the problem.

It's late here but searching the web turns up some answers, e.g.: https://duckduckgo.com/?kh=1&kl=se-sv&kp=-1&q=OpenOffice+%22runtime+error%22

You can search for answers on a particular domain and one you could try is user.services.openoffice.org  You could also quote the line "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks, Rory. I'll give all these suggestions a shot.  Have a good
weekend.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 01:05:32 -0600

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Rory and Terry, et al..

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:47:46 -0600

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again to both of you - Rory and Terry.
Sounds like either of your suggestions would be excellent.

For me , however, it's not a question of what's easier or quicker, or more
elegant, but of finding a fix that I can make without botching it..

I'm pretty good for a civilian, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

> Normally such an error message is cured by deleteing or renaming the User
> Profile, which seems to cure a large proportion of OOo peculiarities.  In the
> case of the advanced user of OOo, renaming the profile may theoretically be
> best, as this allows the individual customisation files to be brought forward
> individually to preserve customisation such as special templates and
> dictionaries.  To be honest, the only customisation I worry about as a Writer
> user is the dictionaries; I have the OED dictionary preserved in a download
> directory and can easily reinstall it; other dictionaries are usually personal
> names, which vary from project to project, and these dictionaries are easily
> rebuilt on need, so I'd simply zap the Profile.

Personally, I think that remedy is recommended far too freely and is done so out of laziness.  It is time-consuming to rebuild a settings folder (aka profile folder).  Often there is a simpler fix.

Regards

Re: false "recover files" messages

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 22:02:06 -0600

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 00:31:35 -0600
Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again. Sorry to say, I went to "tools > options > OO.o" and checked out
> ever subcategory and could not find
> registrymodifications.xcu
> Neither could I find any way to turn off the "restore" functions.  Maybe I
> misunderstood your suggestions. Any ideas or clarifications will be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.

If you are using OOo 3.1, the file you need is called recovery.xcu.  With OpenOffice closed, from Start button do a Search for all files for that filename, using search for hidden files option (just in case!) and searching subfolders.  Then delete that file when found.

Re: false "recover files" messages

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Umberto Tosi <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.