Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Srineel Mazumdar <sm...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/01 10:33:55 UTC

Struts 2 Rest Showcase Example : Issue in understanding code

Hi,

I am new to Struts 2 and hence I am downloading the the samples from Apache
site. Struts 2 Rest Showcase Example is the one I am refering to.

I have the follwoing questions :

1) What is meant by :
@Results({
    @Result(name="success", type="redirectAction", params = {"actionName" ,
"orders"})
})

in OrdersController.java ?

2) Meaning of the entries in struts.xml:

<struts>
    <!--  Overwrite Convention -->
    <constant name="struts.convention.action.suffix" value="Controller"/>
    <constant name="struts.convention.action.mapAllMatches" value="true"/>
    <constant name="struts.convention.default.parent.package"
value="rest-default"/>

    <constant name="struts.convention.package.locators" value="example"/>
</struts>

3) a) How the code "understands and decides" which method to call
in OrdersController.java  ?
    b) We have *"return "editNew";" *etc return types . Where exactly are
these being used and how does the applciation decide which page to navigate
based on the return types ?

Regards

Srrineel Mazumdar

Re: Struts 2 Rest Showcase Example : Issue in understanding code

Posted by rahul bhalla <ur...@gmail.com>.
http://viralpatel.net/blogs/2009/12/introduction-to-struts-2-framework.html
I started learning from above tutorial i hope this will also help you to
learn Struts2

Re: Struts 2 Rest Showcase Example : Issue in understanding code

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/convention-plugin.html

> 2) Meaning of the entries in struts.xml:
>
> <struts>
>    <!--  Overwrite Convention -->
>    <constant name="struts.convention.action.suffix" value="Controller"/>
>    <constant name="struts.convention.action.mapAllMatches" value="true"/>
>    <constant name="struts.convention.default.parent.package"
> value="rest-default"/>
>
>    <constant name="struts.convention.package.locators" value="example"/>
> </struts>

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/convention-plugin.html

> 3) a) How the code "understands and decides" which method to call
> in OrdersController.java  ?
>    b) We have *"return "editNew";" *etc return types . Where exactly are
> these being used and how does the applciation decide which page to navigate
> based on the return types ?

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/result-configuration.html

Please consider spending some time with the existing S2 documentation; all
of this stuff is discussed.

Getting a basic handle on how the framework is configured etc. will pay
dividends and save countless hours of time.

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/guides.html

Dave

Re: Struts 2 Rest Showcase Example : Issue in understanding code

Posted by Srineel Mazumdar <sm...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

I will definitely follow your advice. Meanwhile can anyone answer these
questions?