Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yuji Shinozaki <ys...@virginia.edu> on 2006/09/27 20:39:30 UTC

moving the svn root up a directory

We set up an svn repo using FSFS that has repository root like this:

https://our.server.addr/svn/project1

Now we have realized that this was mistake and want to "migrate" the
root of svn "upward", but keep the paths to the projects the same.

So that the desired repository root is https://our.server.addr/svn
with "project1" as a subdirectory of svn.  This is, of course so we
can add other projects to the same svn root.

What is the proper way to do this? I am assuming with a dump/load,
but want to make sure that is the right way to do it. And would there
be any implications on the existing working copies?  Will they need
to do a "relocate"?  Or something else?

Or is there better way of doing this change?  Like changing the root
to a different path?

(Of course point me to the proper FAQ or red book chapter, if that's
appropriate; I don't think I've found anything that directly applies
to our situation).

Thanks,
yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki
University of Virginia
Advanced Technologies Group
ys2n@virginia.edu

Re: moving the svn root up a directory

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
On Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:28 PM -0700 Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>
wrote:

> It also seems that you want to host multiple projects in
> the same repository.  That's your choice, I suppose, but I would
> recommend against.

It's reasonable if the projects are related and need to reference each
other. For instance, one might have a library project and several
application projects that use it. This is easier if all projects are in the
same repository.

Whether they should share a repo is more an administrative question,
related to how access control is to be maintained.

Re: moving the svn root up a directory

Posted by Mark Clements <gm...@kennel17.co.uk>.
"Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:33 PM -0400 Yuji Shinozaki
> <ys...@virginia.edu> wrote:
>
> > I guess I was working from the assumption that it was difficult
> > tomaintain multiple repos with the same users (as it is in CVS.)
>
> Not difficult, but possibly tedious. If two repos have the same
> authorization policies, you might as well make just one to simply
> administration. Think of a repo like a filesystem. Creating two repos is
> like creating two shares on a server, or perhaps two partitions to share.

Or do what I do and make the authz and passwd files symlinks to global
versions of these files.  You can always 'opt out' a repo by recreating them
as normal files if you need more specific access controls in the future.

- Mark Clements

Re: moving the svn root up a directory

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Yuji Shinozaki <ys...@virginia.edu>.
Ah.  I like simplicity.

So do you suggest keeping, e.g:

https://our.server.addr/svn/project1
https://our.server.addr/svn/project2

as separate svn repos?

(that's even simpler than what I was thinking!).

I guess I was working from the assumption that it was difficult to
maintain multiple repos with the same users (as it is in CVS.)

But of course, I guess it is simpler with svn.

Thanks,  I think we are now on the right track.

yuji
----

-----

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.