Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David <wi...@spam.lublink.net> on 2011/04/04 17:36:26 UTC

Hijacked email accounts

Hello,

I have noticed that recently almost all spam that makes it pass my spam
filters come from hijacked email accounts. Usually on services like
hotmail and yahoo ( sometimes from .com sometimes from country specific
domains ).

I wonder if perhaps a rule in spamassassin should add between 0.5 and
1.5 to the spam rating when it comes from a free webmail service like
hotmail and yahoo.

David

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello darxus@chaosreigns.com,

> On 04/04, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> > freemail_domain hotmail.com
> > freemail_whitelist abuse@hotmail.com
> > freemail_whitelist postmaster@hotmail.com
>
> SpamAssassin already has 2,133 domains listed via freemail_domain, so you
> shouldn't need to add that part for any domain.  If you do, you should file
> a bug to get it added.
>
> The rule that goes with this is FREEMAIL_FROM, which has a default score of
> 0.001 (basically nothing), because it hits 21.6% of non-spam (11.4%
> of spam).

I have tried this plugin but it seems not to work...  More then  90%  of
the messages are groing trough...  and I do not know a singel sender!

They are 100% spams and not a singel False-Positive.

So, I reject them on SMTP-Level

> It looks like the way to just penalize a single domain would be:
> blacklist_from *@yahoo.com
> score USER_IN_BLACKLIST 1

Save resources and reject on SMTP-Level from your MTA.

> By default it has a score of 100, which would usually block everything.
>
> I was actually doing something with a similar effect, to hotmail for a
> while.  I recently noticed yahoo is much worse, I think this graph deserves
> its own post: http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/dnswlabusehistory.svg

:-/

> > The emails to which I refer where sent by email accounts stolen by
> > viruses on computers running Windows.
> I had always assumed the spammers just registered the accounts directly.
> Why do you think they were stolen, by viruses or otherwise?

I do not think, peoples create E-Mails with  stupid  names  no  one  can
remember... Most of those name are auto-generated and mostly numbered.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL       itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                 Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France           77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ    #328449886

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Jason Bertoch <ja...@i6ix.com>.
On 2011/04/04 12:12 PM, Daniel McDonald wrote:
> Now if I could just find a list of url shorteners that included j.mp ...

DecodeShortURLs plugin from Steve Freegard

http://www.fsl.com/support/DecodeShortURLs.pm
http://www.fsl.com/support/DecodeShortURLs.cf

--
/Jason

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On 4/4/11 11:03 AM, "David" <wi...@spam.lublink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yahoo doesn't do SPF, and hotmail is still ~all.
>
> The emails to which I refer where sent by email accounts stolen by
> viruses on computers running Windows.
>
> The virus steals the password, and sends it to the spammer who than uses
> the account to send out spam.
>
> So the emails are coming from Hotmail and Yahoo's servers.

I've noticed most of the compromised accounts are exploited from
"elsewhere".  I'm sorry if this rule is US centric, but it appears to work,
somewhat, for me:

header        RELAY_NOT_US    X-Relay-Countries =~
/\b[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRTVWXYZ]{2}\b/
describe    RELAY_NOT_US    Relayed though any country other than the US
score        RELAY_NOT_US    0.01

meta        AE_FOREIGN_FREE    FREEMAIL_FROM && RELAY_NOT_US
describe    AE_FOREIGN_FREE    Freemail that originated somewhere other than
the US
score        AE_FOREIGN_FREE    0.5

I also find this to be pretty useful in cleaning out the hacked mail...

meta         AE_SHORT_FREE    FREEMAIL_FROM && (URIBL_DBL_SHORT ||
URIBL_SU_JMF)
describe    AE_SHORT_FREE    has shortened URL from a freemail account
score        AE_SHORT_FREE    2.0

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Re: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello Jonas,

> I am seeing the same thing with my systems. Most spam that makes it
> past the filters are from hacked accounts.
>
> I'm not really sure if punishing all the innocent freemail users is
> the answer?
> It should be relatively easy to do if you want to though.

Since I have no friends with Hotmail, MSN, Live  and  Yahoo  accounts  I
block them on SMTP level with

----[ '/etc/courier/bofh' ]---------
badfrom @invalid.domain
badfrom @example.com
badfrom @example.net
badfrom @example.org
badfrom @test

badfrom @cms-informer.com
badfrom @exemys.com
badfrom @fanbox.com
badfrom @flirtcafe.de
badfrom @gtsc.ae
badfrom @hotmail.co.kr
badfrom @hotmail.com
badfrom @hotmail.cn
badfrom @hotmail.de
badfrom @hotmail.fr
badfrom @idgconnect-direct.com
badfrom @idgconnect-resources.com
badfrom @indosatm2.com
badfrom @indosat.net.id
badfrom @info.com
badfrom @info.gamanetwork.com
badfrom @live.co.kr
badfrom @live.cn
badfrom @live.com
badfrom @live.de
badfrom @live.es
badfrom @live.fr
badfrom @mail.ua
badfrom @msn.com
badfrom @mx.mail.ua
badfrom @myfanbox.com
badfrom @mynet.com
badfrom @newsletter.cyo.fr
badfrom @offersadwind.info
badfrom @online.idgconnectglobal.com
badfrom @service.fr
badfrom @shtyle.fm
badfrom @skoost.com
badfrom @service.com
badfrom @service.fr
badfrom @support.fr
badfrom @vsatplus.com
badfrom @www.eyari.com
badfrom @webmail.fr
badfrom @yahoo.com
badfrom @yahoo.fr

badfrom postmaster@mms.metropcs.net

badfrom administrator@willspc.net
badfrom jonathan.dabonot@hotmail.fr
------------------------------------

This config reject per day more then 8000 senders...

Note:  It does NOT block mesages from those domains send over lists.

RE: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Jonas <jo...@vrt.dk>.
Hi David

TechBiz ApS
Laplandsgade 4, 2. sal
2300 København S

Office: 7020 0979
Direct: 3336 9974
Mobile: 5120 1096
Fax:    7020 0978
Web: www.techbiz.dk

RE: Hijacked email accounts

Posted by Brent Kennedy <br...@cfl.rr.com>.
I have also noticed a lot of emails coming from valid domain services.  I
have also noticed many of the stolen accounts are used to authenticate with
my blog posting engine to post spam to my blogs.  It never reaches the blog
because I approve each entry, but it's been happening with increased
frequency.

The truth is, this is not a new trick, its comes and goes.  Your real
protection is in the bayes rules and making sure you do not whitelist a
service like these.

If it helps....to assist with users who have accounts on gmail(or any
domain) who are sending email to internal customers, I apply an outbound
hidden line of text in every email that amounts to code.  If the code is
seen in a reply, the email is given a -100 score, thus reducing false
positives for replied messages.  It also ensures the conversation will most
likely not be interrupted.  Its not 100% all the time since some users
clients delete replied sections of the email, but it does help.

body BK_RespondedTo /\bxXYyzb262011qa\b/i
score BK_RespondedTo -100.0

I think adding a rule as you suggest will only end up causing more false
positives.

-Brent