Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Mohan Kishore <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/02 02:03:06 UTC

Overview image in User Guide

I noticed that there is no overview diagram in the User Guide. Is that a concious design decision? Am attaching an image which might be used for the same...

Mohan

Re: Overview image in User Guide

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
As diagrams go, this one is pretty good. But, I would not label
"ActionForms" as being part of the model. They are really a controller
component, same as the Actions.

Also, the Struts ActionServlet is the Presentation Layer controller, but
in a true MVC application, the real controller might live above Struts,
and also be handling requests from other platforms. It can be better to
talk about Model 2 at this level since that doesn't get us in trouble
with the MVC purists.

We also wouldn't want to mention loading the mappings from a database,
since out-of-the-box Struts uses XML for the configuration file.
Likewise, putting the XML file label in the box promotes the common
misperception that Struts uses the XML file at runtime. The
struts-config is used to register and deploy configuration objects but
is only a means to an end.

It's not so much that we don't want diagrams, but that every one we see
is like bikinis. They seem to reveal a lot, but still conceal all the
best bits =:0)

-Ted.

Mohan Kishore wrote:
> The attachment might be a problem. My mistake - should have provided a URL instead. Can be accessed at http://www.mycgiserver.com/~mohankishore/work/java/struts/step1.html
> Mohan
>  Mohan Kishore <mo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed that there is no overview diagram in the User Guide. Is that a concious design decision? Am attaching an image which might be used for the same...
>
> Mohan

Ted Husted,

Re: Overview image in User Guide