Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org> on 2017/12/19 16:29:34 UTC

Responsive Website

Hi everyone,

The Tomcat website at http://tomcat.apache.org/ is not using responsive
design, and therefore is not very mobile-friendly.

I have a lot of experience with Front End development and can fix that if
given the approval.

Any thoughts?

Igal

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 12/23/2017 1:22 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 23 December 2017 18:39:33 GMT+00:00, "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org> wrote:
>> I see the site's SVN at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/
>>
>> Is there a git mirror for it or should I grab the sources from SVN?
> Just svn. That part of the repo isn't mirror to git.

Got it, thanks.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/01/18 21:51, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 12/23/2017 1:22 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 23 December 2017 18:39:33 GMT+00:00, "Igal @ Lucee.org"
>> <ig...@lucee.org> wrote:
>>> Actually I have a question already.  I see the site's SVN at
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/
>>>
>>> Is there a git mirror for it or should I grab the sources from SVN?
>> Just svn. That part of the repo isn't mirror to git.
>
> According to
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/README.txt I need
> "jk-xdocs native-xdocs", but these directories are empty.  Can I remove
> them in my patches?

No. Take another look at the "To update the documentation for Tomcat
Native or Tomcat Connectors" section. In particular, using svn switch.

Mark

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 12/23/2017 1:22 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 23 December 2017 18:39:33 GMT+00:00, "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org> wrote:
>> Actually I have a question already.  I see the site's SVN at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/
>>
>> Is there a git mirror for it or should I grab the sources from SVN?
> Just svn. That part of the repo isn't mirror to git.

According to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/README.txt I need
"jk-xdocs native-xdocs", but these directories are empty.  Can I remove
them in my patches?  I want to clean up some stuff as I go through it.

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 12/23/2017 4:36 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Ping the list if you have any questions.

Awesome.  I'll start working on that then.

Igal

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/12/17 21:00, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On 12/19/2017 11:21 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Smaller patches/PRs are more likely to be applied than huge ones.
>> Maybe start with a few small but useful patches to get things going?
>>
>> Remember that the website is built using XSLT so don't edit the HTML
>> files directly, but rather have a look at the .xsl files and perhaps
>> the XML files if you need to modify the content directly.
>
> While I understand the logic here, I'm not sure that it's feasible to do
> it in chunks, because the changes need to be made "atomically" so to speak.

1 large patch it is then :)

> Most of the changes will be in the CSS stylesheet, with some minor
> changes in the HTML.
>
> I realize that it is built from XML files.

Great.

Re: Responsive Website

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
Chris,