Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/10 07:09:57 UTC

[VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 Release Candidate 3

Hi all,

Chukwa 0.5.0 is ready for release.  This will be the first incubator
release for Chukwa.

The source tarball artifact is available at:

http://people.apache.org/~eyang/chukwa-0.5.0-rc3/

Documents are available at:

http://people.apache.org/~eyang/chukwa-0.5.0-docs/

The SVN tag to be voted upon:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chukwa/tags/chukwa-0.5.0-rc3/

Chukwa's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://people.apache.org/~eyang/chukwa-0.5.0-rc3/KEYS

Please download, evaluate, and vote on general@incubator.

The PPMC vote thread is in progress at the same time as general@incubator.

Changes since rc2:

- Updated LICENSE and NOTICE files to reflect changes base on Sebb's examples.

The vote will close at 12:30pm PST on Saturday January 14, 2012.

Thanks

regards,
Eric

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
+1 (binding)
Everything looks fine and the build worked for me. However, I do find it odd that the online documentation references a binary distribution yet none is present on the web site below.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 20/01/12 06:46, Eric Yang wrote:
> Still missing one IPMC vote.  Could someone help out?

+1

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Did you every get another vote?

Ralph

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
My apology to all.  I am sorry to send out the draft copy when I
intented to save as draft to count the actual votes.

Result Summary for voting Chukwa 0.5.0 RC 3

+1 [9]
0   [0]
-1  [0]

IPMC:
+1 Chris Douglas
+1 Ralph Goers
+1 Ant Elder

PPMC:
+1 Bill Graham
+1 Jerome Boulon
+1 Ari Rabkin
+1 Eric Yang

Committer:
+1 Ahmed Fathalla

Contributor
+1 Mohammad Tariq

The vote is now closed.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to
review the release.

regards,
Eric

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
Mentor could lose interests in a project over time due to various kind of reasons.  Perhaps, It is time to deconstruct mentor idea and promote ppmc to ipmc after making incubating release(s) and only allow incubator project to graduate after promoted ppmc has mentored another project to make incubator release.  This will enable promoted ppmc to execrise what has been learn and apply to other projects.  Promoted ppmc can choose to stay as ipmc or resign ipmc after project graduation.  The only drawback is someone on ipmc would need to promote ppmc regularly.  It is more work for infrastructure to add and remove people from ipmc.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 06:57:08AM -0500, Ralph Goers wrote:
> This podling has 4 mentors listed. Only 1 voted on the release.

Situations like this seem to be common.

> My worry isn't about the PPMC or committers but about whether this podling
> has sufficient mentors.

Perhaps the podling has an especially conscientious PPMC member or two who
should be evaluated for IPMC membership, as discussed recently?

  http://s.apache.org/Y4B

> Mind you, I don't follow chuckwa-dev so perhaps my perception is incorrect,
> but a podling should normally be able to get 3 IPMC votes just from its
> mentors.

If we can't scare up enough IPMC votes for a release, why not get them from
people who are...

  * familiar with the podling's ongoing development
  * going to be entrusted with binding votes the instant the project graduates

... as soon as they demonstrate proper diligence and understanding of ASF
procedures?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
One of the mentors recently resigned: http://s.apache.org/2Ss

Chukwa has been coming out of a long, quasi-dormancy due to a
complicated set of upstream dependencies that weren't releasing the
features it required. It's discussed in the December report:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2011

Now that it's unblocked, there will be more to monitor, we hope. I
think the other mentors' absence is a hiccup, though I'll ping Bernd.
If there's another IPMC member with spare cycles, it'd be helpful to
have another mentor to replace Owen. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/2012 5:57 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Now you have me worried. This podling has 4 mentors listed. Only 1 voted on the release. You indicated you were too busy to look at it and the other two didn't participate at all. Although the tally below is obviously incorrect and needed to be corrected, your response leads me to believe you weren't monitoring the voting on chuckwa-dev.  My worry isn't about the PPMC or committers  but about whether this podling has sufficient mentors.  Is everything being left to Chris?

Now, three, so yes it would be good to bring on another if someone has
some free cycles.  But there isn't much to be worried about here, I had
simply corrected Eric's post, and for the benefit of everyone on general@,
pointed out what the IPMC is sensitive to so that future release tallies
from any podling will be more informative.

> Mind you, I don't follow chuckwa-dev so perhaps my perception is incorrect, but a podling should normally be able to get 3 IPMC votes just from its mentors.

We disagree; that entirely depends on the mentor's personal schedules.

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.