Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/04/21 08:46:49 UTC

[VOTE] Move to SVN

Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose that
we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be pushed to
use it in any case in the near future.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le 21 avr. 04, à 08:46, Nicola Ken Barozzi a écrit :

> Since we are working a lot with branches...

Are we really? I thought branches were unwelcome around here (although
I never really understood why).

> ...I propose that we move Cocoon to use SVN...

I'm +1 basically (or more precisely +0.5, cannot help ATM).

But we might want to discuss about the right time to do this. It might
be easier right after the next release, otherwise we risk delaying the
release until everybody is fine with SVN.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> There was a suggestion on the lenya-dev list about a week ago to switch to
> Subversion after the release of Lenya 1.2.
>
> Due to the dubious current situation regarding the use of Subclipse/Eclipse on
> Linux that plan is currently stalled.

This is the only point that AFAIK could be not so nice.

In any case, I use Eclipes without subclipse and don't have problems, as
Tortoise SVN works well, and I also useo RapidSVN. IMHO even if
subclipes doesn't work yet well it's not a blocker, especially given the
*enourmous* flexibility it gives us to be able to move stuff around
retaining history and creating branches very easily.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 21.04.2004 08:46, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I propose that we move Cocoon to use SVN.

+1

Joerg

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 22 Apr 2004, at 10:27, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
>> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose
>> that we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be
>> pushed to use it in any case in the near future.
>
> The result is that we have decided to move to subversion right after
> the next 2.1 branch point release.

Well, you seem to be very keen to close this vote already. ;-)

I know this is a dull comment, but upon checking the existing migrated
projects, I saw a collection of (a) small projects (community- and
impact-wise), or (b) empty folders. Cocoon has a large and active
developer and code base: should we be the first big project to migrate?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi dijo:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

I forgot to vote: here is my +1.

Yesterday, I installed SVN and is easier than CVS. What I liked most was
the speed for checking for updates. I hope the same speed will shown on
the Cocoon repository. SVN is friendly for getting help, just type:

svn help            - for a general help
svn help <command>  - for help in a particular command

Another very interesting link is:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

I hope to see Cocoon on SVN soon.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Klaus Bertram <k....@kbsm.de>.
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Klaus Bertram wrote:
>
>> I try it as normal user with the subclipse plugin in eclipse but
>> I don't see any files at
>>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>> (with a browser it worked after an error message)
>> I try to use
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>> That works and i can checkout files and projects
>

> I have found ssl (https) support still finnicky in subclipse.  I use it
> for work, and have had to pay close attention to subclipse devel and
> precise eclipse release version.  For a while, ssl support was only
> available on the 3 branch of eclipse - not sure if that's still the case.

The ExternalPreview at Update work with the ssl and the certificate.
Eclipse Ver 2.1.3

subclipse not :(

Klaus

With the ExternalPreview view of the Update wi

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Klaus Bertram wrote:

> I try it as normal user with the subclipse plugin in eclipse but
> I don't see any files at
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
> (with a browser it worked after an error message)
> I try to use
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/test
> That works and i can checkout files and projects

I have found ssl (https) support still finnicky in subclipse.  I use it for
work, and have had to pay close attention to subclipse devel and precise eclipse
release version.  For a while, ssl support was only available on the 3 branch of
eclipse - not sure if that's still the case.

Geoff

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Klaus Bertram wrote:

> Thank's
> but for Interest only
> It seems that the subclibse can't handle the client certification
> the list command report the error
>
> list -r HEAD https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>   RA layer request failed
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/test'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/test': Server certificate verification
> failed: issuer is not trusted (https://svn.apache.org)

Interesting. I think that the certificate is self signed, thus it would
not verify. But can't you just tell it to ignore that?

Upayavira

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Klaus Bertram dijo:
> Thank's
> but for Interest only
> It seems that the subclibse can't handle the client certification
> the list command report the error
>
> list -r HEAD https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>    RA layer request failed
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/test'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/test': Server certificate verification failed:
> issuer is not trusted (https://svn.apache.org)

Yep. Because Apache has not a valid certificate. I mean, emited by an
certification authority as verisign or similar.

You can check this while surfing at the site on a browser. I also noted
this using the command line. I got a request to accept a non-trusted
certificate from svn.apache.org

So in that way, I think there must be a workaround.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Klaus Bertram <k....@kbsm.de>.
Thank's

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Klaus Bertram dijo:

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Klaus Bertram <k....@kbsm.de>.

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Upayavira wrote:

> Marc Portier wrote:
>
>> and while we're at it, something like viewcvs.cgi that allows to
>> browse versions, check annotations, look at diffs (coloured)
>

> For viewCVS for SVN, see:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/?root=Apache-SVN

is it correct that I don't find the test repo in there?

> As for commit mails, maybe a Forrester can tell us where their commit
> mails go.

thx, I take this also as: there is none setup for the test-repo, then?

-marc=
PS: subclipse just gave me a silly won'tdo 'error' when 'sharing' the
test project in the 3M8.

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Marc Portier dijo:
> and while we're at it, something like viewcvs.cgi that allows to browse
> versions, check annotations, look at diffs (coloured)

Yep again. Forrest has it:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml/forrest/trunk/?root=Apache-SVN

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.
and while we're at it, something like viewcvs.cgi that allows to browse
versions, check annotations, look at diffs (coloured)

regards,
-marc=

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Marc Portier dijo:
> does that repo have commitmails to?
> I'ld like to subscribe and check that too.

Yep. Forrest already use it. Here is a sample:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=10796

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Subversion wiki page

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Subversion wiki page (was:: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Upayavira dijo:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Can you recommend a practice repository for people who need to test
>>> their clients (before messing up with the Cocoon SVN repository ;-) ?
>>

>> As Nicola Ken mentioned, there's:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>>
>> You can check out, but to commit you need a password. If I can get
>> one, I'll pass it on.
>
> Irony of ironies, it was our own Antonio who answered by infrastructure@
> query, with the following info:
>
> <snip>
> Before you can commit to the subversion repository, you will need to
> create an SVN password. To do this, log on to minotaur.apache.org and run
> the following command:
>
>           svnpasswd /x1/svn/asf-committers username

opps. The link was fault, the correct command is:

svnpasswd username

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 22 avr. 04, à 10:27, Nicola Ken Barozzi a écrit :
>>
>>> ...The result is that we have decided to move to subversion right
>>> after the next 2.1 branch point release....
>>

>> Can you recommend a practice repository for people who need to test
>> their clients (before messing up with the Cocoon SVN repository ;-) ?
>

> As Nicola Ken mentioned, there's:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/test
>
> You can check out, but to commit you need a password. If I can get
> one, I'll pass it on.

Irony of ironies, it was our own Antonio who answered by infrastructure@
query, with the following info:

<snip>
Before you can commit to the subversion repository, you will need to
create an SVN password. To do this, log on to minotaur.apache.org and run
the following command:

          svnpasswd /x1/svn/asf-committers username

The will ask you for a subversion password. This is the user and password
you will use when checking in code.
</snip>

taken from:
http://incubator.apache.org/directory/svn.html

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Re: [VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

[VOTE:RESULTS] Move to SVN

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose
> that we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be
> pushed to use it in any case in the near future.
>
> +1

If you guys tell me that it works well IRL, I don't have a problem
either. So +0.5 (can't help you with this ATM). This also gives us the
chance to solve the naming problem (see the "[RT] Versions" thread) by
finding better, more version independed names, doesn't it?

--
Reinhard

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On 21 Apr 2004, at 07:46, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose
> that we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be
> pushed to use it in any case in the near future.
>
> +1

I have no problem with that

+1

regards Jeremy

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose
> that we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be
> pushed to use it in any case in the near future.
>
> +1

+1

/Daniel

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose that
> we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be pushed to
> use it in any case in the near future.

+1 for moving to SVN (though I disagree with your reason, I agree for
all the other benefits SVN brings!)

On 21 Apr 2004, at 12:01, David Crossley wrote:

> I too think that timing is vital. We need to carefully consider
> whether we should get 2.1.5 out first.

Yes. I'd be -1 on moving to SVN before the next release - though I
guess now is the time to start experimenting, to make sure we have a
smooth transition.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose that
> we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be pushed to
> use it in any case in the near future.

+1 from me. And i don't think that we can be held up by lack
of support from various tools. There is capable command-line
client already.

I too think that timing is vital. We need to carefully consider
whether we should get 2.1.5 out first.

--David

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose that
> we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be pushed to
> use it in any case in the near future.
>
> +1

+1

	Ugo

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

> Since we are working a lot with branches, and there will be even more
> moving stuff around when the blocks will hit the street, I propose that
> we move Cocoon to use SVN. It works very well and we will be pushed to
> use it in any case in the near future.
>
> +1

Enthousiastic +1000 here. I'm totally in love with subversion, and I think
it would help development immensely, not only because of branching but
also because of network-friendliness of HTTP (gosh, no more firewall
issues), WebDAV support (want to download the latest code? mount a webdav
share, no need to install anything). Oh, don't forget directory shuffling
and renaming - with history being preserved.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le 21 avr. 04, à 10:29, Upayavira a écrit :

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> What are the current problems we have with CVS that you want to solve
>> with such a move?
> For example keeping everything in one big repository and using
> branches?

would be a very good reason for me.

> The reason why we don't use branches (IIRC) is because, with a
> repository the size of ours, CVS slows right down....

ok, thanks for the info.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> What are the current problems we have with CVS that you want to solve
>> with such a move?
>>
> For example keeping everything in one big repository and using branches?
>
> The reason why we don't use branches (IIRC) is because, with a
> repository the size of ours, CVS slows right down.
>
> I believe SVN does not have this problem.

I believe Nicola Ken is willing to propose it because Forrest is now
using SVN.

I also believe that there is an SVN sandbox somewhere that people can
play with. I've asked for details of it at infrastructure@ and will let
you know.

Upayavira, who seems to believe lots of things

Re: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

RE: [VOTE] Move to SVN

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.