Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Matteo Bertozzi <ma...@cloudera.com> on 2013/02/07 08:46:56 UTC

org.apache.hadoop.hbase vs org.apache.hbase namespace

Is there a reason why the prefix-tree and cell code is inside
org.apache.hbase instead of the traditional org.apache.hadoop.hbase?

Re: org.apache.hadoop.hbase vs org.apache.hbase namespace

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Matteo Bertozzi <
matteo.bertozzi@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why the prefix-tree and cell code is inside
> org.apache.hbase instead of the traditional org.apache.hadoop.hbase?

Our code should be homed at o.a.hbase rather than at o.a.hadoop.hbase given
we are a top-level apache project.  We were once part of hadoop so it made
sense then being at o.a.hadoop.hbase.

Moving all to o.a.hbase would have been an incompatible change especially
by the time it made it out to the API.  It would also have been a mountain
of work.  Making the change was never of high enough priority.

Rather than do the big bang move, thought was that new baseline code could
come in at o.a.hbase and we'd migrate slowly to the new root.

I suppose I should have put this up on dev list for folks to throw darts at?
St.Ack

Re: org.apache.hadoop.hbase vs org.apache.hbase namespace

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I'ev filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7797 for this. We
should not release with two namespaces.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Corgan <mc...@hotpads.com>.
I just started putting it there a year ago because i thought we were trying
to move out of the hadoop package after becoming a top level project.
 Seems like there hasn't been much of a push though.  Easy enough to move
prefix-tree back into hadoop if we want.

Some issues in the way of moving everything out of hadoop:
* @InterfaceAudience.Public annotations on RPC classes
* classes used by client code (Bytes.java) would have their imports broken
* HFiles contain full package name of their comparators

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.