Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/01 03:57:20 UTC

[Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)

One of the issues I see with the current process we have for changes
under RTC is that it is hard to keep track of what patches are pending RTC.

Ken suggested that we reintroduce the STATUS file as a way of keeping
track of the status of patches (
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg24780.html ).

On the same thread, Dain suggested introducing a "review-required"
status in JIRA (
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg25122.html )
and is the method of tracking work that I prefer.

PROPOSAL

1. Add a "review-required" and "review-complete" statuses to JIRA. I
thought having two statuses might allow a cleaner workflow in JIRA, but
would be interested in hearing others opinions.

2. To make it easy for those reviewing and voting on the patches (there
could end up being a number of revisions of the patch before it is
accepted) the file names of the patches attached to the JIRA should be
prefixed with the JIRA issue identifier followed by an optional text
followed by a mandatory patch version number (starting at 1).

Example patch names:

    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v1
    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v2 (second attempt at patch)
    GERONIMO-3421-v1

2.1 This status should only be set by a committer (can we can get JIRA
to enforce this?) when they have tested the patch attached to the JIRA
and believe it is ready for review.

2.2 The JIRA should contain all information about the patch.  If the
changes were previously discussed on the dev list prior to the JIRA
being created, a summary of the discussions should be moved into the
JIRA so that those reviewing the patch have all the information in one
place.  It would also be preferable to add links to the original
discussions on the dev list archives.  The way  we document changes may
be subject to change (e.g. detailed documentation placed in a linked
JIRA) based upon the outcome of the discussions in the thread "[DISCUSS]
Tracking documentation tasks in JIRA ( was Re: [RTC] Clarification
please from the PMC )"

2.3 Each PMC member who reviews the patch attached to the JIRA must do
the following:
     * Add a JIRA comment containing the file name of the patch they
reviewed.  This is so there is no confusion if there ends up being
multiple revisions of the patch when collating votes.
    * In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g. comments
or a vote).  If a PMC member vetos the patch, they must include a
technical justification in their JIRA comments.  I propose that when
there is a veto that we leave the status as "review-required", as others
may still want to vote and so that the patch remains getting daily
visibility in the "JIRAs Pending Review" daily email (proposed below).
The committer can then re-submit another patch (where the patch filename
has the version number bumped up)
     * If a PMC member is the person who completes the vote ( three
binding +1s and no vetos) for the latest version of the patch then they
should change the status to "review-complete".

3. Non-committers who submit patches will not be able to set this
status.  A committer needs to pick up their patch and test it (possibly
making changes to the patch).  When the patch is ready the committer
then sets the "review-required" status.

4. Have a daily email automatically sent to the dev list containing
JIRA's pending review.  It appears this should be easy to implement as
it would be a variation of the weekly "Unassigned Patches" reports that
are currently in place.

I would be interested in your comments Jason, as you are more familiar
with customizing JIRA.

If this proposal is accepted I will document it as part of the work I
plan to do to document the use of JIRA in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2080 .

John

Re: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Ahh, a little bell went off in my head.  When we were in CTR mode we
never really had code related votes, per se.  That's why I don't recall
the committer/PMC duality w/ respect to code changes.  I now realize how
RTC brings out this distinction.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/2/06, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Please read Ken's original email:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200605.mbox/%3c4470FE4D.1090806@Golux.Com%3e
>
> As far as not considering commiters votes binding, this has never been
> the way Geronimo was run.  If things have changed and the PMC has
> decided that this is the new way to go, ok.  But let there be no
> confusion as to the way things used to work.

What about this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg24899.html?

As far as binding votes go it's never been such a distinction between
people heavily involved in Geronimo development and PMCers. We were
pretty close to PMCers == committers and I don't remember a situation
where -1 was issued. There were enough +1's from PMCers. Therefore,
*I* would say it's almost impossible to compare what's happening now
with what was in the past. The situation is new and uncomparable to
anything as far as I understand it (and thus there're so many
misunderstandings and discussion about what RTC really means).

> Please confirm that this is the new way that the PMC has decided to run
> things.

It's never changed - only PMC votes are binding as outlined in
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html, but I myself consider
any vote binding as far as changes are concerned. A release is a legal
stuff so it requires a special attention from ASF itself and thus the
requirement about PMCers and their binding votes.

> Alan

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> [...]
>> multiple revisions of the patch when collating votes.
>>    * In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g.
>> comments or a vote).  If a PMC member vetos the patch, they must
>> include a technical justification in their JIRA comments.  I propose
>> that when there is a veto that we leave the status as
>> "review-required", as others may still want to vote and so that the
>> patch remains getting daily visibility in the "JIRAs Pending Review"
>> daily email (proposed below).  The committer can then re-submit
>> another patch (where the patch filename has the version number bumped
>> up)
A committer could veto, but it wouldn't be binding, so the above
paragraph should probably be changed to:

* In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g. comments or
a vote).  If a committer vetos the patch (note that only PMC votes are
binding), they must include a technical justification in their JIRA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v1
>>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v2 (second attempt at patch)
>>    GERONIMO-3421-v1
>>
> Why should a patch that has been attached to a specific Jira issue
> include the number of the jira issue?  I don't mind but it seems
> odd and usually that means that I am misunderstanding something.

I like to have the JIRA id as part of the filename so it is clear
what it is when I download it to inspect/apply.

--jason

Re: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> John Sisson wrote:
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>>> Ok, so the "In Progress" state will go off of Open state.  I guess
>>> that the idea of the reviewed state for the actual patch
>>> application.  Please note that I have removed the Reopened state.
>>> It seemed superfluous.

>>> Yeah, we can use the current process for that.

>>> I had intended to restrict it.  Do you think that it would be useful
>>> to always be able to move back to a RTC voting stage?  When would we
>>> need to do that after approval?
>> How did you intend to restrict it?
>
> By just simply limiting the transitions.  Anything else would require
> us dropping a plugin into the Jira server.
>
>> There is a possibility that that the developer of the patch or
>> another developer could discover an issue with the patch after it has
>> been approved but before it was committed and wants to revise the
>> patch and go through the review again.  Should we allow transitions
>> from the review and reviewed states to the Open state to cater for
>> this type of situation (it may take the developer a couple of weeks
>> to rework the patch before they
>
> Ok, so every state should have a transition to go back to Open?

I think that would allow the most flexibility.

Thanks,
John

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> John Sisson wrote:
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>> Thanks for creating the diagrams Alan.
>>
>> Currently one can create "Open" a JIRA issue and start working on it,
>> optionally marking it as "In Progress" as you showed below in your
>> first diagram.  In your second diagram this won't be possible.  The
>> JIRA should be able to be worked on prior to RTC (and hopefully will
>> be discussed on the dev list with the developer community before it
>> gets to the RTC phase).
>
> Ok, so the "In Progress" state will go off of Open state.  I guess
> that the idea of the reviewed state for the actual patch application.
> Please note that I have removed the Reopened state.  It seemed
> superfluous.
>
>> A JIRA issue may also be created for a bug and bug fixes do not need
>> to go through the RTC process.
>
> Yeah, we can use the current process for that.
>
>> I assume we would always allow the user to move to the Review state
>> (no matter what their issue type is) rather than trying to restrict
>> it programatically.
>
> I had intended to restrict it.  Do you think that it would be useful
> to always be able to move back to a RTC voting stage?  When would we
> need to do that after approval?
How did you intend to restrict it?

There is a possibility that that the developer of the patch or another
developer could discover an issue with the patch after it has been
approved but before it was committed and wants to revise the patch and
go through the review again.  Should we allow transitions from the
review and reviewed states to the Open state to cater for this type of
situation (it may take the developer a couple of weeks to rework the
patch before they want it reviewed again, so won't want it showing up in
the RTC reports)?

Thanks,
John

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This looks very reasonable.

--jason

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> Ken suggested that we reintroduce the STATUS file as a way of
> keeping track of the status of patches ( http://www.mail-
> archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg24780.html ).

-0, I'd rather not...

> On the same thread, Dain suggested introducing a "review-required"
> status in JIRA ( http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%
> 40geronimo.apache.org/msg25122.html ) and is the method of tracking
> work that I prefer.

+1, this is a good use of JIRA.

> PROPOSAL
>
> 1. Add a "review-required" and "review-complete" statuses to JIRA.
> I thought having two statuses might allow a cleaner workflow in
> JIRA, but would be interested in hearing others opinions.

Well, I guess it depends on how permanent the RTC rules are... making
changes to use additional statues means modification of the project's
workflow.  Unfortunately changing the workflow in JIRA is not a
trivial task, and will have large affects over all issues in the
project.  For example, if we introduce new statues, then remove them
later, the state of the issues associated with those states is lost.

But if we do want new statues... there are already these statues in
JIRA (used by Derby):

  * Patch Available
  * Patch Reviewed
  * Patch Revised
  * Patch Finalized

If this is going to be more temporary in nature, then it might make
more sense to create a new JIRA project to hold these issues and
workflow configuration, which would leave the other projects unchanged.

We'd probably have to create a new project anyways to setup and test
the configuration, since to validate and apply the workflow it must
be attached to the project... but when attached it can not be edited,
so you have to keep attaching and detaching the workflow to get
things modified.

And in the end we may end up wanting to keep this new project around
to help manage votes/reviews on other stuff too.

  * * *

On the other-hand... it is much easier to add a new field to a
project, which can be a combo list which could be something like:

Review Status:

  * Required
  * Accepted
  * Rejected

> 2. To make it easy for those reviewing and voting on the patches
> (there could end up being a number of revisions of the patch before
> it is accepted) the file names of the patches attached to the JIRA
> should be prefixed with the JIRA issue identifier followed by an
> optional text followed by a mandatory patch version number
> (starting at 1).
> Example patch names:
>
>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v1
>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v2 (second attempt at patch)
>    GERONIMO-3421-v1

This is generally a good idea, RTC or not.

> 2.1 This status should only be set by a committer (can we can get
> JIRA to enforce this?) when they have tested the patch attached to
> the JIRA and believe it is ready for review.

JIRA can enforce this... BUT, not very easily.  Using the workflow
impl it is possible to only allow members of a group to trigger the
transition... not sure if the version of JIRA that the ASF is running
can do this though.

We can always write a plugin to implement the behavior we want, but
this is also troublesome as it will require getting ASF Infra
involved to reconfigure and redeploy JIRA with our plugin.

IMO, while it is possible to get the tool to do this, it is much less
painful to just make the management of setting these states to be a
human process.  It would be nice if JIRA was more friendly at helping
to implement this type of functionality though...

> 3. Non-committers who submit patches will not be able to set this
> status.  A committer needs to pick up their patch and test it
> (possibly making changes to the patch).  When the patch is ready
> the committer then sets the "review-required" status.

Should be able to control this by groups and screens (depending on if
a status or field).

> I would be interested in your comments Jason, as you are more
> familiar with customizing JIRA.

IMO, using the workflow is probably the right way to implement
this... but harder.  Custom field is easier... but less than ideal.
I recommend we create a new JIRA project, configure that projects
workflow to implement the procedure and then see how well it works
out.  As I mentioned before, this project could also be used to track
other non-RTC voting too.

Come to think of it... we might even want to introduce a new Issue
type for RTC and/or Vote.

> If this proposal is accepted I will document it as part of the work
> I plan to do to document the use of JIRA in http://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2080 .

I think that it is a good idea to have a page like Derby does to
provide bug/issue guide-lines.

--jason