Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Marinko, Jeff" <Je...@intuit.com> on 2002/06/26 01:38:37 UTC

Init-Params: Setting and Using

While this should be relatively easy to do....I have no idea why it is not
working...
Misc Notes:  Tomcat 4.0.3 running on Win2K (no apache)

For a servlet I am working on, I have the following in my web.xml file for
the webapp:

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>myPackage.MyServlet</servlet-class>
		<init-param>
            	<param-name>DATA_ROOT</param-name>
            	<param-value>misc data here</param-value>
        	</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>debug</param-name>
			<param-value>0</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
	</servlet>

In my code, I attempt to examine my init-params using the following method:

		ServletContext context = conf.getServletContext();

		Enumeration enum =
conf.getServletContext().getInitParameterNames();

		while (enum.hasMoreElements()) {
			String key = (String)enum.nextElement();
			System.out.println("Key:  " + key + "\tValue:  " +
context.getInitParameter(key));
		}

I've tried accessing the parameters directly by name as well as enumerating
through them.  According to the ServletContext, there are no init
parameters!  Is there something special I need to do to "activate" this
feature in Tomcat, or am I missing something obvious (probably the latter)?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jeff

RE: Init-Params: Setting and Using

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
Try:

String value = getServletConfig().getInitParameter("DATA_ROOT");

Within HttpServlet.init();