Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2013/11/19 22:40:55 UTC

Fwd: copyright infringement in CouchDB 1.5.0

Hi,

Do we have a genuine issue here? The IP clearance process for this
contribution is at
https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/couchdb-fauxton.html

Robert Newson
CouchDB PMC

Posted by Luis Villa <lu...@lu.is>.
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Luis Villa <lu...@lu.is> wrote:
> That's only for new code. The main file is still under Crockford's
> vanity license:
>
> https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/2.x/src/jshint.js

FYI for anyone who finds this thread via archives in the future: there
may be more, by the way; I don't think I did a super-thorough search
when I was last looking at this problem.

Luis

Re: copyright infringement in CouchDB 1.5.0

Posted by Luis Villa <lu...@lu.is>.
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Richard Fontana <rf...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Is it the ASF's policy to tolerate inclusion of this license?
> See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json

That appears to have been the outcome of the previous discussion on
the topic; see:

http://markmail.org/message/gglluph3ifuyqiwq#query:+page:1+mid:f7v2qzmqlckvxb2x+state:results

Luis

Re: copyright infringement in CouchDB 1.5.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 19/11/13 21:57, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 01:52:19PM -0800, Luis Villa wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> FYI: jshint is believed to be truly under this license
>>> https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/2.x/LICENSE.
>>
>> That's only for new code. The main file is still under Crockford's
>> vanity license:
>>
>> https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/2.x/src/jshint.js
>
> Is it the ASF's policy to tolerate inclusion of this license?
> See http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json

Jena used to use the Java json.org parser - all we wanted was a basic
parser, no java-json mapping, just JSON->abstract parse tree.

We simply wrote our own parser because it was quicker than sorting out
the legal side.  The fact it reuses our tuned I/O code we had for our
RDF parsers is a bonus.

	Andy

Re: copyright infringement in CouchDB 1.5.0

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Luis, thanks! I think that covers it. Thanks all for the swift responses.

B.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Fontana <rf...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Luis Villa <lu...@lu.is>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <be...@e-engura.org>.
On 19 Nov 2013, at 22:45, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> FYI: jshint is believed to be truly under this license
> https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/2.x/LICENSE.
>
> B.

well afaik the license used for jshint is edited in the file:

https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/2.x/src/jshint.js#L19

The LICENSE  in the code is different is different from the LICENSE file.

- benoit

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,