Posted to users@camel.apache.org by ychawla <pr...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/12 23:03:50 UTC

Who uses Camel? Please help me make the case.

Hello All,
We are evaluating Camel for use in project that could potentially reach the
whole State.  There have been many arguments against using Camel and for
'rolling on our own' code.  I find the arguments against Camel to not have
merit.

Please help me.

Can someone post a list of companies or projects that use Apache camel?  We
already use Spring, Apache CXF, and I don't really see any real leap from
these projects to Camel, but I need your help.

If you could send links or even provide your own testimonial before
tomorrow, it would be really helpful in making the case.  I think the
comfort level would increase if people realize that Camel will be here for
the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

Re: Who uses Camel? Please help me make the case.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM, ychawla <pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good news.  We decided to go with Camel.  The technical team is very excited
> about this decision as we think it is a fastest way to implement our
> solution.
>
> Thanks for the help B-)

Yay!

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Who uses Camel? Please help me make the case.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Fantastic.

Feel free to post on the these forum for help and if possible how it goes.
We very much enjoy feedback as it helps us know whats good and bad.

For instance if time permits I would like to get some feedback on the
documentation side of Camel that I sort of have a itch for to improve.
But this is something to do for 2009 ;)

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Great choice :)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM, ychawla <pr...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Good news.  We decided to go with Camel.  The technical team is very
> excited
> about this decision as we think it is a fastest way to implement our
> solution.
>
> Thanks for the help B-)

Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Who uses Camel? Please help me make the case.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

There is a user stores page for starters where end-user is encouraged
to add or be listed:
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/user-stories.html

But the page is new and as Bruce have written some companies does not
want to be listed.

I am personally involved with a proof of concept in Denmark where
Camel is a strong candidate for the new integration engine (replacing
SUN CAPS) for the Capital region in the health care industry.

/Claus

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM, ychawla <pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> We are evaluating Camel for use in project that could potentially reach the
> whole State.  There have been many arguments against using Camel and for
> 'rolling on our own' code.  I find the arguments against Camel to not have
> merit.
>
> Please help me.
>
> Can someone post a list of companies or projects that use Apache camel?  We
> already use Spring, Apache CXF, and I don't really see any real leap from
> these projects to Camel, but I need your help.
>
> If you could send links or even provide your own testimonial before
> tomorrow, it would be really helpful in making the case.  I think the
> comfort level would increase if people realize that Camel will be here for
> the foreseeable future.

It's difficult to say what companies are using Camel, not only for
legal reasons (I personally know of many companies using it) but also
because it's freely downloadable by anyone. We don't track who
downloads it and who uses it, but it's not too difficult to cruise the
mailing lists and look at email addresses to find a few that are
recognizable ;-). Camel has been around for a year-and-a-half and has
an incredible rate of adoption and is a very vibrant and growing
project.

As for building it yourself, just compare the amount of code you'd
have to write yourself to bridge from reading files on a filesystem,
to calling web services, to posting to an FTP server, not to mention
the processing and transformation in-between. I've spoken about Camel
at many conferences and most people are amazed at the simplicity of
Camel, allowing them to throw away hundreds, sometimes thousands of
lines of hand-written code that is brittle anyway.

Here's a question I have asked many folks:

Are you in the business of creating tools to integrate protocols and
data formats, or are you in the business of making money by creating
business applications?

I'm sure you can guess the typical answer ;-).

Bruce
);'