Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2014/05/31 18:30:21 UTC

Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Hi,

I am working hard on getting to build flexmojos with the alternate fdk structure. I wasted about 6 hours trying to figure out a problem I was having and traced it back to Velo sort of creating a copy of each playerglobal and renaming it from playerglobal-{flash.version}.swc to playerglobal.swc and then to replace the dependency in the build ... I found a note that the file has to be called playerglobal.swc but it seems more recent flex compilers don't have any problems with playerglobal-{flash.version}.swc ... if this was an old requirement, I would like to simplify the dependency management and remove this renaming code ...

So is this now an obsolete requirement?

Chris

Re: AW: Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.
Maybe a few warnings when 1) developer NOT using same version( between
playerglobal and target player); 2) developer explicitly declare
playerglobal as internal/external. -Gary

AW: AW: Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
Ok, I think this approach could be working. Probably you'll need to
introduce a new special scope in order not to intersect with scopes used
by people. Or may be instead of scope it would be possible to use some
other classification feature. I guess only
playerglobal.swc/airglobal.swc contain Object class declaration in
catalog.xml (<def id="Object" />) - probably this can be used as a
'special' marker instead of maven scope.

AW: AW: AW: AW: Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ... so I do actually get further when compiling without the playerglobal hack, but using the maven scope "external" instead.
Unfortunately it seems I'm only able to compile swcs with this. I do get swfs out of the build, but these are not runable. So I guess I will have to re-apply the hack.
But I would like to put my vote in to make this requirement obsolete in comming versions of the legacy and the falcon compiler (If this isn't allready obsolete in falcon anyway).

@Alex you remember us discussing a refactoring of the compiler and to split up the commandline-parsing and the actual compiling and providing an interface that I could initialize the configuration as an object and pass that in to the compiler? Is there any timeframe for this? Even if I guess I would implement support for this in the new plugin, it would be of great help now. I think it would be great to do this together with such a refactoring cause then I'd have something I could detect this requirement on ( if(compiler instanceof ConfigurableCompiler) { ... } else { do the rename hack } )

Chris

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I'm not assuming that "isInternal" isn't used and can be ignored, I'm just assuming that I can make a Source internal by providing the appropreate scopes in flexmojos and hence make the "copy the file around and internally rename" hack obsolete.

But I'll be able to investigate this in more detail when I'm back home.

Chris
I'm sure Velo also did some simple testing before releasing Flexmojos
3.7.0. But the problem came in real-life complex multi-modular project
[1] and he had to release 7.0.1.
flex2.compiler.Source#isInternal() method has 24 usages and I can't say
for sure that all of them can be simply ignored without impact on
compilation result.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/flex-mojos%40googlegroups.com/msg06459.html

On 02.06.2014 18:26, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> But why does it produce running applications if I remove the special handling? (I am using the legacy compiler)
>
> Chris

>>> Justin

Re: AW: AW: AW: Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
I don't know.
I'm sure Velo also did some simple testing before releasing Flexmojos
3.7.0. But the problem came in real-life complex multi-modular project
[1] and he had to release 7.0.1.
flex2.compiler.Source#isInternal() method has 24 usages and I can't say
for sure that all of them can be simply ignored without impact on
compilation result.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/flex-mojos%40googlegroups.com/msg06459.html

On 02.06.2014 18:26, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> But why does it produce running applications if I remove the special handling? (I am using the legacy compiler)
>
> Chris

>>> Justin

AW: AW: AW: Is/Was there a requirement for the playerglobal.swc having to be named exactly this way?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
That's just a bad package name. Code that relies on playerglobal.swc
file name is still in use in Apache Flex SDK 4.12.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I am currently experimenting with the Flexmojos Build, but it seems the compiler is producing swfs and swcs correctly even if playerglobal is called playerglobal-13.0.swc ...
If there are parts in the SDK that have this hard-coded name, would it be reasonable to refactor these? I would certainly prefer to omit some maven hacks form the plugin. Especially when thinking about the plugin rewrite I have setup,

Chris

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.