Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dominik Fritz <sv...@dfritz.cocos-net.de> on 2004/05/16 15:03:02 UTC

svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale

Hi,

If I call the svn commandline client I get the following errormessage:

svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale
svn: error: environment variable LANG is de_DE@euro
svn: error: please check that your locale name is corre

If I delete the LANG enviroment variable it works fine. Does anyone has a
hint  for me what might be the reason.

Thanks in advance,

Dominik

Re: svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I don't think you need any hints, it's all in the error message.
>> AFAIK de_DE@euro is not a valid locale name; or if it is, your system
>> doesn't support it.
>

> The error message is not clear for anyone not familiar with locale
> settings. For example one needs to understand "environment variable
> LANG" and "locale name" are the same thing. Also the message should
> explictly say "check that your locale name is supported by the system"
> which is more precise than "check that your locale name is correct".

Nope, if you see this error message, then the local name is not
supported by the system, and you don't need to check that.

> Otherwise de_DE@euro was the standard Red Hat locale for Germany
> before their switch to @UTF-8 locales. Which Linux distribution is
> used here? SUSE? Red Hat? Fedora?

It's not valid anyway. Standard names are of the form
language[_region[@charset]], and "euro" isn't a valid charset name. I'm
guessing they meant ISO-8859-15, which is ISO-8859-1 plus the euro sign
and a few other tweaks. Or maybe they used a nonstandard encoding, who
knows...

Re: svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
Hi,

> I don't think you need any hints, it's all in the error message. AFAIK
> de_DE@euro is not a valid locale name; or if it is, your system doesn't
> support it.

The error message is not clear for anyone not familiar with locale
settings. For example one needs to understand "environment variable
LANG" and "locale name" are the same thing. Also the message should
explictly say "check that your locale name is supported by the system"
which is more precise than "check that your locale name is correct".

Otherwise de_DE@euro was the standard Red Hat locale for Germany before
their switch to @UTF-8 locales. Which Linux distribution is used here?
SUSE? Red Hat? Fedora?

Dimitri

Re: svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Dominik Fritz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If I call the svn commandline client I get the following errormessage:
>
>svn: error: cannot set LC_ALL locale
>svn: error: environment variable LANG is de_DE@euro
>svn: error: please check that your locale name is corre
>
>If I delete the LANG enviroment variable it works fine. Does anyone has a
>hint  for me what might be the reason.

I don't think you need any hints, it's all in the error message. AFAIK
de_DE@euro is not a valid locale name; or if it is, your system doesn't
support it.

-- Brane