Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gal Aviel <ga...@chipx.co.il> on 2004/04/14 10:19:58 UTC

Will subversion repository work over iSCSI

Hi All,

I'm trying to push subversion in my company and I'd realy
appreciate any help ..

We're trying to evaluate subversion here but the IT manager is abit
worried that subversion works only over local disks since these are
usually not a part of the company backup scheme.

He wants the repos. to sit on our NAS, which supports
iSCSI as well as NFS (I'm aware that the latter is not acceptable).

So will subversion work over iSCSI ?

We will probably take a low-cost linux x86 machine for the server (I plan
to allow access to repos. only via subversion server, no local access).

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks - Gal.

  ================================
  Gal Aviel
  Chip Express (Israel) Ltd.

  Advanced Technology Center
  P.O.Box 2401, Haifa 31024 Israel

  Tel: +972-4-8550011 Ext. 272
  Fax: +972-4-8551122
  E-mail: mailto:gala@chipx.co.il
  WEB: http://www.chipexpress.com

  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the World.
  The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the
  World to himself. Therefore, all progress depends upon
  the unreasonable man."

  G.B. Shaw
  Man & Superman : Maxims for Revolutionists.

Re: Will subversion repository work over iSCSI

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> As I understand it (and no, I didn't try) concurrent accesses to the DB are
> only safe if it is on a local disk. However, if you run one single instance
> of svnserve or apache serving a repository, it doesn't matter if that
> repository is on a network share.

I'm not sure that even that last statement is completely accurate.  According to
this:

	http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/remote.html

only a single BDB instance can be allowed to interact with a database file that
has been remotely mounted, and then _only_ if the filesystem supports full POSIX
filesystem specs (there are caveats for both FreeBSD and some Linux filesystems
on that page).  That second limitation is just as important as the first.

However, in the original poster's case, iSCSI is a transport layer which is much
more like native SCSI or IDE, in that the local OS is reponsible for maintaining
the filesystem (iSCSI connections are block-level devices IOW).  As such, there
should be no problem (other than performance issues) with running BDB on those
filesystems.  A month or so from now, I will be running a SAN box, so I'll be
stress-testing Subversion on a SAN mount point...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Will subversion repository work over iSCSI

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Gal Aviel wrote:
> He wants the repos. to sit on our NAS, which supports
> iSCSI as well as NFS (I'm aware that the latter is not acceptable).
>
> So will subversion work over iSCSI ?
>
> We will probably take a low-cost linux x86 machine for the server (I plan
> to allow access to repos. only via subversion server, no local access).

As I understand it (and no, I didn't try) concurrent accesses to the DB are
only safe if it is on a local disk. However, if you run one single instance
of svnserve or apache serving a repository, it doesn't matter if that
repository is on a network share. Using a local disk, you could access the
repository via svnserve, apache and file at the same time.

One note on backup-strategies: it might be better to not backup the database
itself but a dump (svnadmin dump) thereof, because that format is designed to
remain constant regardless of the database layout, which used to change in
the past. Using a cronjob to dump it on a iSCSI or NFS share might be a good
option.

Uli