Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by ra...@gmx.de on 2001/02/15 17:20:48 UTC

RE: Related to Some questions

> That's a reasonable demand. There is a difference between finding the
> configuration file and properly parsing it. The desired semantics is to
see if
> config file was found and correctly parsed not just found. This requires
> that the configurators need to throw exceptions in case of parsing errors
> which is not the case today.

I have posted a patch recently to cope with that problem but never got any
reply. Did it not make it to the list or was it so bad that nobody cared to
even comment on it?

--
Best regards
Rainer Klute

  Dipl.-Inform.                     E-Mail: rainer.klute@epost.de
  Rainer Klute                        Tel.: (0172) 2324824
  K�rner Grund 24                           (0231) 511693
D-44143 Dortmund                       Fax: (0231) 511809

RE: Related to Some questions

Posted by ra...@gmx.de.
> Unless I am missing something, there is a lot more to this than throwing
> an exception when the config file is not found. Most notable, throwing
> exceptions in a method that hid them previously breaks backward
compatibility.

That's right. That's the price to pay.

You have to decide what you value more: Compatibility or ability - being
backward compatible or being able to learn of any problem configuring log4j.

In my application I try to configure the patched (enhanced) log4j with a
DOMConfigurator first, and if that fails I use a BasicConfigurator with some
more or less reasonable defaults. Works well!

> On the other hand you are right to insist. :-) Ceki

:-)

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.

At 17:20 15.02.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>> That's a reasonable demand. There is a difference between finding the
>> configuration file and properly parsing it. The desired semantics is to
>see if
>> config file was found and correctly parsed not just found. This requires
>> that the configurators need to throw exceptions in case of parsing errors
>> which is not the case today.
>
>I have posted a patch recently to cope with that problem but never got any
>reply. Did it not make it to the list or was it so bad that nobody cared to
>even comment on it?

Unless I am missing something, there is a lot more to this than throwing an exception when the config file is not found. Most notable, throwing exceptions in a method that hid them previously breaks backward compatibility. On the other hand you are right to insist. :-) Ceki

>--
>Best regards
>Rainer Klute
>
>  Dipl.-Inform.                     E-Mail: rainer.klute@epost.de
>  Rainer Klute                        Tel.: (0172) 2324824
>  Körner Grund 24                           (0231) 511693
>D-44143 Dortmund                       Fax: (0231) 511809
>
>Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15