Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Rafaela Voiculescu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/23 15:39:03 UTC

Securing stored data using Lucene

Hi,

My name is Rafaela and I am just starting to work with Lucene for a project
that involves quite a few security aspects.

I am working on an app that aims to manage data by using Lucene on a mobile
device. However, my application will require data to be confidential (users
will need to be logged in and have certain permissions regarding the data).
I am currently trying to find a way to make this possible and still keep
using Lucene without having a very high performance drop-down.

I was searching around and I found the patch from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2228. Since it seems to be
quite a bit old and the issue is not marked as resolved, I wanted to ask
about the status of this. Is this something that could work for securing
the information? Or is there another better solution already implemented?

I've wrote the same question before to the general@lucene.apache.org but
didn't get any replies there, so I thought that maybe I wrote to the wrong
mailing list. Hope I'm writing to the right one now (please let me know if
not and if I should redirect the mail to another list).

Thanks,
Rafaela

Re: Securing stored data using Lucene

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Security has at least two parts. First, allowing users access to
specific documents, for which Alon's comments are the "usual"
way to do this in Solr/Lucene.

But the patch you referenced doesn't address this,
it's all about encrypting the data stored on disk. This is useful
for keeping people who can copy the index from reading the
raw format of the stored data, i.e. the fields for which
' stored="true" ' is set. This data is stored verbatim in *.fdt
files with *.fdx files providing pointers into the *.fdt file for
particular documents.

Which are you concerned about? It sounds like the former....

Best
Erick

Posted by Alon Muchnick <al...@datonics.com>.
hi Rafaela,

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Is your device patient data for a single patient or is it for potentially a
large number of patients (on a single device)?

Generally, the proper way to "secure" a Lucene/Solr server and its data is
to keep the server and data behind a firewall and also behind an application
layer so that no outside process can directly talk to Solr. If you are
developing a custom server based only on Lucene, then it is up to you to
assure that your server is secure and Lucene has no role in that security.

Or... are you actually thinking of running Lucene on the device? If so, and
security is a concern, then you are in UNCHARTED TERRITORY and really on
your own.

In that case, you probably need to be talking about custom codecs for
encrypted data for all of your fields. Even then, the in-memory
representation of the field values would be unencrypted and hence insecure
if someone took a stolen device and directly examined the memory.

How much "Rich Lucene Search" do you need to do on the device itself, as
opposed to just looking for "(encrypted) blob storage"? If you want Lucene
to do your searching on field values, the field values will be exposed in
memory. If all you want is to retrieve an encrypted blob based on an
encrypted key, why are you even considering Lucene?

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Rafaela Voiculescu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Indeed lucene transform seems to be
something that could meet the requirements for the project.

Thank you all for your help and fast answers.

Rafaela

Posted by VIGNESH S <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rafaela,

> [...]

> bit
> > more readable with inlined code):
> >

> http://sujitpal.blogspot.com/2012/12/searching-encrypted-document-collection.html
> >
> > There are some obvious data sync concerns with this sort of setup, but as
> > Adrian points out, you can't index encrypted data.
> >
> > HTH
> > Sujit
> >
> > On Jun 25, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Adrien Grand wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > acceptable
> > the
> > mentioned,
> > >
> > > You can encrypt stored fields, but there is no way to do it correctly
> > > with fields that have positions indexed: attackers could infer the
> > > actual terms based on the order of terms (the encrypted version must
> > > sort the same way as the original terms), frequencies and positions.

Thanks and Regards
Vignesh Srinivasan
9739135640

Re: Securing stored data using Lucene

Posted by Rafaela Voiculescu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by SUJIT PAL <su...@comcast.net>.
Hi Rafaela,

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafaela Voiculescu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thank you for the answers.

I am sorry I was not a bit more explicit. I am trying to find an acceptable
way to encrypt the data to prevent any access of it in any way unless the
person who is trying to access it knows how to decrypt it. As I mentioned,
I looked a bit through the patch, but I am not sure of its status.

Also, in case someone has experimented with this previously, I am very
interested in the approach and results as far as performance goes when
using encryption/decryption additional to Lucene.

Thank you very much for the help,
Rafaela