Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Aditya Singh30 <Ad...@infosys.com> on 2011/11/08 12:47:08 UTC

Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

Hi,
                I have setup a two node hadoop cluster, and tested it by running examples provided with Hadoop. Examples are working fine. then I tried to run hive on the cluster. I was able to create tables and load data into tables. And also the query : "select * from tablename" is working fine. But when I try to run a query with where option :
                hive> select * from tablename where column_name='Value';
I get the following error

Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

The jobdetails.jsp shows the following:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.NoSuchElementException

at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities.getMapRedWork(Utilities.
java:168)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveInputFormat.init(HiveInputFormat.java:235)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveInputFormat.initColumnsNeeded(HiveInputForm
at.java:311)..............

I am using hive's derby only and not MySQL or any other DB for metastore. And most of the settings are having their default values in Hadoop, except for the minimum changes needed to run the cluster. There is no hive-site.xml as I haven't changed any of the hive's properties.
Please tell me what is wrong and what do I need to do.

Regards,
Aditya Singh
Infosys, India.

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

Posted by Mark Grover <mg...@oanda.com>.
Hi Aditya,
Could you provide the statement that you used to create the table? Also, some insight into what your data looks like would be helpful as well.
What version of Hive and Hadoop are you using, on what environment?

Have you tried running one of the examples (like wordcount) that come with Hadoop (without any usage of Hive) to see if they succeed?
"select * from table" doesn't spawn a map-reduce job but using a where clause does. It will be good to see if Hadoop is set up properly.

Here is another thread that might have discussed a similar issue. Check it out:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-user/201103.mbox/%3C000901cbe937$80ec3d30$82c4b790$@net%3E

Mark

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Aditya Singh30 <Ad...@infosys.com>> wrote:
[...]

With Regards
Vikas Srivastava

DWH & Analytics Team
Mob:+91 9560885900
One97 | Let's get talking !

RE: Execution Error, return code 2 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

Posted by Vikas Srivastava <vi...@one97.net>.
hey Aditya!!

<Ad...@infosys.com>wrote:

> Hi,****
>
>                 I have setup a two node hadoop cluster, and tested it by
> running examples provided with Hadoop. Examples are working fine. then I
> tried to run hive on the cluster. I was able to create tables and load data
> into tables. And also the query : “select * from tablename” is working
> fine. But when I try to run a query with where option :****
>
>                 hive> select * from tablename where column_name=’Value’;**
> **
>
> I get the following error ****
>
> ** **
>
> Execution Error, return code 2 from
> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver****
>
> ** **
>
> The jobdetails.jsp shows the following:****
>
> ** **
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.NoSuchElementException
>
> at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities.getMapRedWork(Utilities.
> java:168)
>
> at
> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveInputFormat.init(HiveInputFormat.java:235)
>
> at
>
> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveInputFormat.initColumnsNeeded(HiveInputForm
> at.java:311)…………..****
>
> …………****
>
> ** **
>
> I am using hive’s derby only and not MySQL or any other DB for metastore.
> And most of the settings are having their default values in Hadoop, except
> for the minimum changes needed to run the cluster. There is no
> hive-site.xml as I haven’t changed any of the hive’s properties.****
>
> Please tell me what is wrong and what do I need to do.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****