Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Merg <me...@merg.be> on 2001/08/09 06:29:49 UTC

Re[4]: log4j and J2EE problem

Hello James,

JV> That's true, but putting log4j.jar (or any other jar for that matter) in the
JV> weblogic classpath is a fairly course operation.  You end up forcing all
JV> applications to share the same log4j and they might have inconsistent uses
JV> (I assume).  And this isn't an option when you are hot deploying an
JV> appication into an already running Weblogic appserver.  I know there is some
JV> way to put a third party jar into the EJB classloader of a deployed app (the
JV> above reference discusses the advantages of this approach) but I do not know
JV> what the mechanism is.  If anyone does I'd appreciate a pointer.

You are indeed forcing the same version of log4j for all applications.
Redeployment though works fine (web-apps, EJB seperatly, whatever) if
they all use the same factory. We now need log4j in the AS classpath because we use it in the WebLogic
plugin classes (Security Realm/startup classes/...), but I'm also
interested in this classloader mechanism.

Merg