Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Keith Nicholas <ke...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/23 00:13:58 UTC

Confusion over Java Versions, Oracle, and OpenJDK in relation to Kafka

Hi,

I'm not a Java dev and don't know a lot about the Java world, and it seems
Oracle have recently started to charge for there JRE for Java 8.

Then I see there is OpenJDK, where there is various free builds of Java....

Now I'm kind of lost as there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide on what
to choose to run Kafka

- Can you run Kafka on an OpenJDK?
- Is it known that it 100% works ? ( or at least as well as the oracle jre)
- Is there a tradeoff of using an OpenJDK build?
- for instance if you choose something like https://aws.amazon.com/corretto/
is it going to work?  or is there better recommendations for what to run
Kafka on?
- What's the difference between Java 8 and 11 for Kafka? Is there one I
should be using over the other?

Is there a good guide out there that explains things in relation to Kafka?

Regards,

Keith