Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Liu, Jack" <Ja...@FALCONJET.COM> on 2003/02/04 15:10:17 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL Cert question?

Hi,
  I have 2 questions concerning SSL Cert. I am using Apache 1.3.20 in
Windows 2000.
  1. Right now we secure the whole website, can I just secure the login
process (since only username & pass need to be secured). I check all the
doc, cannot find an answer.
  2. We want to setup a QA website to test our application before it goes
into production website. I am wondering "do I have to apply for ( "pay for")
another cert for this purpose" or I can use a test cert or self signed cert
to do this. By the way, our QA website is internet accessible, not just on
the intranet.
  Any guru's opinion or clue?
  Thanks.

  Jliu

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Cert question?

Posted by Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>.
On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 09:10:17 -0500,
  "Liu, Jack" <Ja...@FALCONJET.COM> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have 2 questions concerning SSL Cert. I am using Apache 1.3.20 in
> Windows 2000.
>   1. Right now we secure the whole website, can I just secure the login
> process (since only username & pass need to be secured). I check all the
> doc, cannot find an answer.
>   2. We want to setup a QA website to test our application before it goes
> into production website. I am wondering "do I have to apply for ( "pay for")
> another cert for this purpose" or I can use a test cert or self signed cert
> to do this. By the way, our QA website is internet accessible, not just on
> the intranet.
>   Any guru's opinion or clue?

What are you trying to test? Certainly you could test the majority of
the functionality of the site using a self signed cert. You are going
to see some warnings that end users won't see later and you won't
be testing the combination of the real cert and the web page and will
want to still do that before going live.