Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie> on 2002/09/06 12:41:23 UTC

RE: SSL Port for Tomcat

You should use 443 for SSL as Tomcat has to encrypt the traffic. If you
wanted to only use SSL you could use 80 but it's impractical as you only
need to use it when the data you're sending is sensitive plus it's be very
slow as SLL uses a fair bit of CPU. All firewalls should allow 443 traffic
to go through if that's what you're worried about. I don't think it's
possible to use encrypted and unencrypted traffic on the same port in Tomcat
(or and other server) but I could be wrong...

Donie

Posted by "hari@acusis" <ha...@acusis.com>.
Thanks Donie, I changed the port for SSL to 443 instead of 8443, now it
automatically switch between HTTP and HTTPS; user does not have to
specify the port number in the URL.

Thank you very much for the help.

Hari.

How can i configure TomCat to accept HTTP and HTTPS traffic at the same
port (80)? Is it necessary that it should be in two different ports?

Thanks,

Hari.

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>