Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/05 15:12:54 UTC

1.2.4 or 1.3?

The current development/release process is bothering me. We don't cut
to the chase and keep on working and improving minor issues. Yes I
know that 1.3 and 2.0 will be far away. But we have that under our own
control: the longer we postpone working on those releases the longer
it will take before we release them, and are out of the incubator.

Should we go for 1.2.4 and add yet another waiting period of a week
for 1.3 or can we finally start working on 1.3?

Scenario's:

 - cut 1.2.x from 1.2.3 starting point, fix only essential bugs in
1.2.x branch,
   eventually release 1.2.4
   start working on 1.3 *NOW*

 - cut 1.2.x from current head, fix only new bugs in 1.2.x branch,
   eventually release 1.2.4
   start working on 1.3 *NOW*

 - release 1.2.4 from current head,
   wait one week, hold development on 1.x branch, only bugs
   cut 1.2.x branch after one week
   start 1.3 development after that

The problem I see with the third option is that we keep on postponing
work on a new Wicket. There will always be bugs in Wicket. At the
moment I don't see any real show stoppers (deadlocks, security,
completely failing functionality) that would warrant an immediate
release of 1.2.4. On the other hand, I do see a lot of functionality
that could go into 1.3 and would guide us through the incubator.

So to cut to the chase, I propose the following:

 - cut 1.2.x from current head, fix only new bugs in 1.2.x branch,
   eventually release 1.2.4
   start working on 1.3 *NOW*

Create a vote for each issue that should go into 1.2. This creates a
low barrier for fixing stuff in three branches. In my opinion anyone
can hold a vote for anything, this would mean that anyone can start a
vote to get a bug fixed in 1.2.x.

Martijn

PS. google sponsored link for this message:

Bed Bug information
Control bedbugs in your home. Protect your family.

--
for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket">Wicket</a>
at the <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/">Best Stuff in

Re: 1.2.4 or 1.3?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
sounds reasonable

-igor

Re: 1.2.4 or 1.3?

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/5/06, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - cut 1.2.x from current head, fix only new bugs in 1.2.x branch,
>    eventually release 1.2.4
>    start working on 1.3 *NOW*

+1

Frank