Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com> on 2014/11/28 05:06:54 UTC

[Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Hi Devs,

I'm planning to add topology view tree to application detail view page. We
had suggestion thread[1] and i have came up with solution based on d3js
which include automatic node positioning with Reingold–Tilford “tidy”
algorithm[2].

​

I have created three icons based on our requirement. (Application, Group,
Cluster and Member). Each node on the tree will include extra information
on hover. Also we need to finalize colors of each node depending on the
status.

Current status levels

*MemberStatus* - Created, Starting, Activated, In_Maintenance,
ReadyToShutDown, Suspended, Terminated

*ApplicationStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated

*ClusterStatus* - Created, Active, Patching, Inactive, Terminating,
Terminated

*GroupStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated

Seems we need to coloring only the important status and need to show keys
on screen. Also Current tree is not live updating, so i'm planning to add
refresh button to get latest status on topology.

WDYT?

please be kind enough to add your valuable feedback. You can check code
demo[4] on my personal repo[3] and live screenshot attached.

[1] Dashboard for the Composite Application based on status changes
[2] http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/tidier-drawings.pdf
[3] https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor
[4]
http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor/blob/master/topologyviewer.html

*Dakshika Jayathilaka*
Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.
lean.enterprise.middleware
0771100911

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>.
Hi Dakshika,

Brilliant stuff! This is super cool.

Do we have plans to put hovering pop up boxes with detailed information
when you click on an icon? Sorry, if this was already discussed.

Thanks.

--
Akila Ravihansa Perera
Software Engineer, WSO2

Blog: http://ravihansa3000.blogspot.com

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte <ma...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Sajith Kariyawasam <sa...@wso2.com>.
Great work Dakshika !

Posted by Shiroshica Kulatilake <sh...@wso2.com>.
Looks spiffy !!

Posted by Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com>.
Great work Dakshika!

Posted by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com>.
Great work dakshika. Looks really nice.

--
*Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
Software Engineer

mobile: *+94771737718*
about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Jerad Rutnam <je...@wso2.com>.
Awesome stuff Dakshika, looking forward for this feature. :)

--
*Jerad Rutnam | **Software Engineer - UI*
WSO2, Inc. www.wso2.com

*Email: jerad@wso2.com <je...@wso2.com>*

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Shiroshica Kulatilake <sh...@wso2.com>.
wrote:

> @shiro: Currently you can see it by hovering on each node. (color + text
> on hover)

Then fine !!

--
Shiroshica Kulatilake

Architect,
WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com/
Phone: +94 776523867

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

Great work Dakshika.

--

Udara Liyanage
Software Engineer

web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
phone: +94 71 443 6897

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Shiroshica Kulatilake <sh...@wso2.com>.

--
Shiroshica Kulatilake

Architect,
WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com/
Phone: +94 776523867

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.

wrote:

> Great work!
>
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dakshika,
>>
>> Fabulous work!! This is one of the key elements of the dashboard.
>> I would like to propose use three simple colours like "Orange", "Green"
>> and "Red" to represent "Inactive", "Active" and "Terminating" states of
>> each element. WDYT?
>>
>> +1 to use these colours to represent the current status of elements.

Thanks,
Reka

>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Dakshika Jayathilaka <da...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>>
>>> I'm planning to add topology view tree to application detail view page.
>>> We had suggestion thread[1] and i have came up with solution based on d3js
>>> which include automatic node positioning with Reingold–Tilford “tidy”
>>> algorithm[2].
>>>

>>> ​
>>>
>>> I have created three icons based on our requirement. (Application,
>>> Group, Cluster and Member). Each node on the tree will include extra
>>> information on hover. Also we need to finalize colors of each node
>>> depending on the status.
>>>
>>> Current status levels
>>>
>>> *MemberStatus* - Created, Starting, Activated, In_Maintenance,
>>> ReadyToShutDown, Suspended, Terminated
>>>
>>> *ApplicationStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated
>>>
>>> *ClusterStatus* - Created, Active, Patching, Inactive, Terminating,
>>> Terminated
>>>
>>> *GroupStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated
>>>
>>> Seems we need to coloring only the important status and need to show
>>> keys on screen. Also Current tree is not live updating, so i'm planning to
>>> add refresh button to get latest status on topology.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> please be kind enough to add your valuable feedback. You can check code
>>> demo[4] on my personal repo[3] and live screenshot attached.
>>>

>>> [1] Dashboard for the Composite Application based on status changes
>>> [2] http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/tidier-drawings.pdf
>>> [3] https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor
>>> [4]
>>> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor/blob/master/topologyviewer.html
>>>

>>> *Dakshika Jayathilaka*
>>> Software Engineer
>>> WSO2, Inc.
>>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>>> 0771100911
>>>

>> --
>> Imesh Gunaratne
>>
>> Technical Lead, WSO2

> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
Mobile: +94776442007

Re: [Discuss] Interactive Topology Tree for application

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Great work!

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Dakshika,
>
> Fabulous work!! This is one of the key elements of the dashboard.
> I would like to propose use three simple colours like "Orange", "Green"
> and "Red" to represent "Inactive", "Active" and "Terminating" states of
> each element. WDYT?

+1

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
s/propose use/propose to use/g

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Dakshika,

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Great stuff!

wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm planning to add topology view tree to application detail view page. We
> had suggestion thread[1] and i have came up with solution based on d3js
> which include automatic node positioning with Reingold–Tilford “tidy”
> algorithm[2].
>

> ​
>
> I have created three icons based on our requirement. (Application, Group,
> Cluster and Member). Each node on the tree will include extra information
> on hover. Also we need to finalize colors of each node depending on the
> status.
>
> Current status levels
>
> *MemberStatus* - Created, Starting, Activated, In_Maintenance,

I think we should rename "In_Maintenance" to "Maintenance",

wdyt?

> ReadyToShutDown, Suspended, Terminated
>

> *ApplicationStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated
>
> *ClusterStatus* - Created, Active, Patching, Inactive, Terminating,
> Terminated
>
> *GroupStatus* - Created, Active, Inactive, Terminating, Terminated
>
> Seems we need to coloring only the important status and need to show keys
> on screen.

So how the state based coloring and type based coloring(Group/ Cluster/
Member) managed?

Are we going to have set of colors for Group and a different set of colors
for Cluster etc.. ?

Thanks.

> Also Current tree is not live updating, so i'm planning to add refresh
> button to get latest status on topology.
>
> WDYT?
>
> please be kind enough to add your valuable feedback. You can check code
> demo[4] on my personal repo[3] and live screenshot attached.
>

> [1] Dashboard for the Composite Application based on status changes
> [2] http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/tidier-drawings.pdf
> [3] https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor
> [4]
> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/dakshika/stratos-app-editor/blob/master/topologyviewer.html