Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/13 06:17:14 UTC

User implementations of custom interfaces can have access to Task instance?

I'm looking for some suggestion on whether it's a good/bad idea to
expose a method to custom user defined classes which takes a "Task"
object. This is in context of the JUnitLauncher task that I recently
added. It allows custom report formatters/listeners to be implemented
and the expectation is that such classes will implement the
TestResultFormatter interface that is (newly) part of Ant. This
interface exposes:

void setTask(Task currentExecutingTask)

so the implementations of this class have access to the current task
that's running. Right now, the only reason I exposed that Task instance
was to allow such implementation to issue log messages from within the
implementation like:

task.getProject().log(...., level);

I have been looking into other such cases where we allow custom
implementations and documentation, but haven't found a guideline or
anything that says whether it's good idea to give access to the Task
instance to such custom implementations.

For now, I would like to avoid it if possible (logging is the only
reason I use this instance for now). However, if there are no real
concerns of letting custom implementations of the interface have access
to this, then I will just go ahead and expose it without worrying about it.

P.S: I realize in fork mode, the Task instance won't be available and
I'll be taking that into account, but this question is more a general
guideline I'm looking for.

-Jaikiran

Re: User implementations of custom interfaces can have access to Task instance?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-03-17, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Thanks for the input, Stefan. I took your suggestion and exposed a API
> to get the Project on that custom interface. It doesn't/can't directly
> use the IntrospectionHelper support available to project components,
> since unlike nested elements of a task, this custom class can be
> plugged in something like:

> <listener
> classname="some.custom.class.implementing.an.task.specific.interface"/>

> plus the fact that this custom class can reside in a classloader
> defined by nested <classpath> elements of this task.

Just a few remarks, do with them however you see fit :-)

* you can use part of IntrospectionHelper's infrastructure, of
  course. At least Project#setProjectReference so you don't have to
  reinvent the reflrection logic.

* Your approach for listeners is that of the original JUnit task and
  predates support for typedef together with

      public void add(SomeInterface child);

  for nested elements. Later we would have used the newer approach (see
  for example the <condition> task accepting arbitrary Condition
  implementations.

  You may consider using

      public void addConfigured(ListenerInterface l) { ... }

  in your task and

      <typedef name="customListener"
               classname="some.custom.class.implementing.an.task.specific.interface"/>
      <junitlauncher ...>
        <cusomListener/>
      </junitlauncher>

   in the build file. You'd even get classloader support for free.

Stefan

Re: User implementations of custom interfaces can have access to Task instance?

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.